Deezer

I posted last week about a new music site called Mucelli.  It seems like a great site, but I had questions about how appropriately they were handling copyright issues.  I emailed them about it, but still haven’t heard back from them.

In the meantime, I learned about a similar site called Deezer.  Like Mucelli, it has tons of free songs, and you can create your own playlist.  I found many of the songs I use in class to help teach English available on the site.

After searching around the web for more information about Deezer, I learned that it appears that their site is legal because they share advertising revenue with the recording artists.

If this is indeed the case, it certainly would be an easy way for ESL/EFL teachers who use music in their lessons to access the songs.

I’ve placed the link on my Teacher’s Page under Movies and Music For ESL.

Please let me know if I’m missing something related to copyright issues.

1. Larry,
    Deezer has recently gone legit. They are in the process of striking deals with various record companies to offer their music. Last I checked, a lot of the music on Deezer was no longer available until they make deals to offer their music legally. You can check out the story at http://www.appscout.com/2007/11/the_partys_over_at_deezercom.php

2. Jerry,

Thanks for the update, link, and helping me learn about appscout.

I’m still able to find some songs I use — This Land Is Your Land, a Raffi tune — but you’re absolutely right that for now, at least, a lot of their music is “blacked-out.”

Larry

3. Hi Larry and others

pa.press.net from UK msn
    Tuesday, 08 January 2008
    ________________________________________
    Copyright law joy awaits music fans
    Copyright law joy awaits music fans
    Proposed changes to copyright laws will allow owners to move their music legally from CDs to MP3 players.
    They would also let owners copy music from a PC to a portable player or to CDs.
    The proposals, released on Tuesday, amend the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 which technically makes it illegal for people to shift their music and films from one format to another.
    The changes would apply only to content copied for the owner’s private use.
    Multiple copying and file sharing on the internet would still be banned.
    Owners would not be allowed to sell or give away their copies.
    “To allow consumers to copy works and then pass on the original could result in a loss of sales for right holders,” the proposals warn.
    The consultation on proposed changes to UK copyright exceptions were launched on Tuesday by Intellectual Property Minister Lord Triesman.
    It follows the Gowers Review of Intellectual Property, which recommended that certain aspects of the system should be reformed.
    The proposals are designed to provide clarity about copyright issues in light of changing technologies.