The Best Websites For Beginning Older Readers

I was able to make this new list sooner than I had thought I would. The sites listed in my previous list of The Best Websites To Help Beginning Readers have been enjoyed by both my students and their parents. However, most of them have had little or no formal schooling in the past.

I can see that older students and adults who have had some formal schooling in their native countries, but who have had no prior experience with the English language, might not feel engaged by a number (though not all, as I indicated in that post) of the sites in my previous list.

I found eight sites for beginning older readers that I felt were worthy enough to be listed on a “The Best…” list. These, as well as 8,000 other categorized links, can also be found on my website.

Sometime in the future I’ll make a similar list of sites for Intermediate and Advanced English Language Learners.

Here are what I believe to be the Best Websites For Beginning Older Readers:

Number eight are Sight Words at Quiz Tree. I’m not a big fan of sight word memorization out of context, but this is a decent way for students to be introduced to, and practice, some of the basic English sight words, also known as the Dolch Word List.

Number seven is another Sight Word list — Basic Sight Words List One from Adult and Family Education. The words are taught in context and have great follow-up activities. However, it’s only a small list of sight words.

Number six is also a series of Sight Word exercises from Reall Languages. I bring my same reservations to learning words out of context, but this site at least provides a variety of exercises and games that students can use.

I’m ranking Learning Line number five. It may be a little out of reach for very, very Beginning English Language Learners, but it has high-interest accessible content on employment, health, and basic communication issues.

Number four is a new series of authentic stories designed to teach phonics called Story By Story Phonics Lessons. It’s sponsored by the Learning Disabilities Association of Minnesota.

The Embedded Learning Portal in the United Kingdom has one hundred exceptional step-by-step literacy (and math) lessons designed for adult learners. This site is number three on my list.

REEPworld Family English is number two. It’s a series of stories about recent immigrants and includes excellent online follow-up activities. REEP’s English For Health section is also a very good literacy resource.

And, now, the number one ranked website for beginning older readers is….Reading Skills Stories from Marshall Adult Education in Minnesota. They have Reading Skills Stories 1 and Reading Skills Stories 2. There are many leveled, high-interest accessible stories with several follow-up activities for each one. They also have a great Student Lessons section, too.

Literably Is An Excellent Reading Site — If Used With Caution

I hope you find this list helpful. You might also want to consider subscribing to this blog for free.

1. Thanks, Larry- I’ve linked some of these sites on aall
    Maureen

2. Larry,
    I am trying to incorporate differentiated reading instruction in my classroom. This looks like a good way to start since I have several ELL students.
    Sharla

3. How great to see links to your resources on CATEnet! I’m planning to include these sites (and your other wonderful web resources) in the “best resources” lists I’m preparing for teachers I coach in NYC public schools. Your resources will also be distributed and discussed in college courses for students I help prepare to become middle and high school teachers. Thanks, Larry, for sharing your generous “gifts”!
    ~ Ginnie

4. Hi Larry (et al)

I’m the ITC for the Arlington Education and Employment Program (REEP), which created the REEPworld interactive stories — #2 on the list!

UPDATE: We’ve added more content to the HEALTH section of the website, to offer more short, personal stories to aid contextual learning, along with many other practice activities.

Also, the Teacher Resource section has been updated with printable materials for all the units, and I’ll be adding more pics from the stories soon.

The ideas shared on this blog are great!

Best wishes and thanks,
    Michele

5. Great links. Thank you
    Hilary