Phonics Site

I have reservations about how useful spending a whole lot of time on phonics in isolation is to English language learning.  However,  I do believe that limited time on explicit phonic instruction can be helpful.

Since I’ve started highlighting sites now and then that have been on my webpages for awhile, I wanted to point out what I think is the best activity there for reinforcing phonics knowledge.

It’s Wordbuilder from I Know That.  I have the link on my English For Beginners page under Phonics.  It’s in the middle of that section.

Clicking on the link will lead you to a list of different letter sounds.  Once you click on a sound, you get a pop-up asking if you want to join I Know That.  Just have students click on “Maybe Later” and then they will be sent directly to the activity.

1. The university of Iowa has an excellent phonics resource at http://www.uiowa.edu/~acadtech/phonetics/#.

It seems to be intended for linguistics students, so the average English student will either need a strong grounding in the IPA or guidance from a teacher first.