2008 Webby Nominees

The Webby Awards announced their Nominees and Honorees today.  I got a chance to go through their Nominees list. I’ve already posted about some of them, and I did discover a couple of new sites that would be accessible and helpful to English Language Learners.

They are:

Math Moves U, a pretty cool looking series of interactive math activities that would be accessible to Intermediate English Language Learners.

Electrocity, where players can create their own cities and see the environmental consequences of their design decisions.

Later today I’ll try to get a chance to look through the longer list of Honorees.

1. Hi, I have a question for you. I looked at both of these games and they looked neat. They both required an email to play. My 5th graders don’t have school emails and most don’t have their own personal emails yet. How do you work around that?

Jim

2. Jim,

Click here to access several of my previous posts where I have addressed this issue:

http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/?s=temporary+email

There are many temporary email addresses that disappear after five minutes.

In addition, for sites that don’t actually require you to verify your email address by clicking on a confirmation code, I just make one up and it works fine.

Larry

3. Pingback: The Tech Savvy Educator » Blog Archive » Earth Day Should Be Everyday - SimCity, Eat Your Heart Out!

4. ElectroCity doesn’t require an email address to play. You can even save a game, come back later and continue – still with no need to register. This was for the very reason you describe.