Grooveshark Lite

TechCrunch and other blogs yesterday reported about a new music site called Grooveshark Lite. I’ve posted in the past about sites that allow you to pretty much find any song you want, create a playlist, and let you do it for free. I’m still amazed that these sites are legal, but, according to a bunch of prominent blogs, they’ve apparently found a way to be legitimate.

Grooveshark has a nice interface, and a huge selection of music. I was able to find a ton of songs that I use with English Language Learners (Raffi songs were plentiful). A teacher, assuming the site was allowed by his/her school’s content filter, wouldn’t have to buy music again.

I’ve placed the link on my website under Movies and Music For ESL.

1. Larry,

As a member of the Grooveshark development team, I must say it’s quite a pleasure to see the fruit of our labors being used this way. As you say, presuming that school content-blockers don’t get in the way, teachers could potentially use Grooveshark Lite as a resource in all sorts of neat ways. It’s a facet of the product that I think neither I nor my peers have considered, and I’m thrilled to see it used this way. Thanks for doing what you do, and for giving Grooveshark a go!

Cheers,
    Christopher Suter
    Software Engineer
    http://www.grooveshark.com