The Best Websites To Teach & Learn Life Skills

Here’s the latest in my “The Best…” series, which now numbers over sixty lists. This particular one, The Best Websites To Teach & Learn Life Skills, particularly goes along with two of my previous lists, The Best Websites For Students Exploring Jobs & Careers and The Best Sites For Learning Economics & Practical Money Skills.

It probably also makes sense to use this list, too, in conjunction with The Best Health Sites For English Language Learners.

I haven’t really been able to find that many sites that cover a lot of different life skills, and that are accessible to English Language Learners. Those that do are ranked high on this list. Other sites just have one or two good activities that relate to a particular life skill.

Links to all of these sites can also be found on my website. I’m working to develop one page that contains these sites in a form for student self-access, but it’s not complete yet.

Here are my picks for The Best Websites To Teach & Learn Life Skills:

Number ten is a HUD sponsored site called Field Trip — Visit Awesome Places. It provides animated tours of a park, library, and city hall.

Number nine are several activities from the English Zone. They include an Envelope Reading Lesson, a nice activity about addressing and reading an envelope; and a couple on reading maps.

Number eight is no longer available.

Marshall Adult Education Student Lessons is the seventh-ranked site on my list. They have several excellent activities.

Number six is Lifeskills Lessons from EL Civics For ESL Students. This fine site has also been included on other lists I’ve posted.

Multi-Cultural Educational Services in Minnesota has some excellent online exercises on writing a check, filling out a form, using a timesheet, and reading a map. It’s ranked number five here.

Number four is TV 411, which has good activities on using a library, writing a complaint letter, accessing community resources, and developing time management skills.

English For All is number three. It’s a series on online videos, many which related to life skills.

The second-ranked site is the fine series of audio and animated newsletters called The Learning Edge. There are many good articles in their back issues, especially in Issue Four. One of their other issues also has a nice exercise about phone bills.

The number one Best Website To Teach And Learn Life Skills, I think, is Everyday Life. This site has made several other lists I’ve compiled. Its activities on food, money, work, shopping and maps are excellent.

“EL/Civics Lesson Plans” contains quite a group of nice lesson plans on lifeskills and on civics for English Language Learners. They’re from the Northeast ABLE Resource Center.

“The Library Of ESL Lesson Plans: North Carolina Curriculum Guide” is an impressive collection of life-skills lesson plans developed by several local community colleges.

If you’ve found this post useful, you might want to consider subscribing to this blog for free.

1. Once again, Larry, WOW!! How come you get across so much great material…???

Thanks for sharing it all!!

Rita

2. I started reading your blog and following you on twitter last month. I have learned so much from you.
    Thank you