The Best Ways To Create Online Slideshows

'Galesburg Illinois..Slideshow' photo (c) 2010, Loco Steve - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Boy, there sure are a lot of web applications that let you make free slideshows. Because of this glut, I thought it would be helpful to my students, readers of this blog, and me to do a quick review of many of them, and identify my picks for the best ones. So, here’s another “The Best…” list.

In order to make it on this list (there is one exception), a site had to…

* be free.

* be simple. There are a number of web tools that just have too many “bells and whistles” for me, and they certainly don’t improve accessibility for English Language Learners.

* allow you to grab images off the Web, and not just from your computer.

* not have content inappropriate for classroom use readily available, at least not during the multiple times I visited the site.

* allow for the creation of captions and other writing.

I’ve come up with nine web tools that I think are worthy of being on this list. They all have some unique qualities, though, that make them ideal for different projects. So they are not ranked first-to-ninth. Instead, I’ve put them into different categories.

You can also find tools that let you create video-like slideshows at The Best Ways For Students To Create Online Videos (Using Someone Else’s Content).

AUDIO-NARRATED SLIDESHOWS

Having said that I wasn’t going to rank the sites, however, it’s clear that one site is clearly the best, especially for English Language Learners. The ability to combine audio narration (and comments) with the written word at VoiceThread , along with its ease-of-use, make this a great application. Combine that with the special free educator membership and its benefits and you have the best site out there, period, for English Language Learners.

Yodio is a relatively simple web application that lets you create a slideshow — either with your own photos our their stock images — and then record the narration by phone.

My Brainshark has recently added the capability of recording by microphone or by phone, but I haven’t really checked them out thoroughly.

Little Bird Tales lets you easily make slideshows where you can add text and, more importantly for English Language Learners, provide an audio narration. On nice touch is that you can virtually paint/draw artwork in addition to uploading images (unfortunately, the site doesn’t have the ability to grab photos off the web by url addresses). It’s free to use, but I’m unclear on if there will be an eventual cost to use the site. It appears to have an upper limit on the number of shows you can produce.

Present Me lets you upload PowerPoint presentations and easily provide audio/video narration. You can read more about it at David Deubelbeiss’ blog.

9Slides lets you upload a presentation and lets you record and sync a video of you providing narration. You’re allowed five presentations before you have to start paying for more. It seems similar to Present.me.

Here’s my post on Fotobabble’s new slideshow option.

John Yan has unveiled his new tool for education, UTellStory, and it’s a good one. It’s sort of a streamlined VoiceThread that I think is easier for both teachers and students to use.

You can make slideshows with your own images or grab ones off the web and easily add a audio you record, as well as text, to it. You can make them private or public, and they’re embeddable. You can also let your slideshows be re-used and mixed by others.

It’s free to use, though it costs $50 each year if you want to be able to manage student accounts (Disclosure: I was given one of those free accounts so I could try out those features, but it in no way influenced my decision to review the site or to say these positive comments about it).

The only advantage I see, and it’s a big one, that VoiceThread has over it is you can’t leave audio comments at UTellStory.

I also like Screencast-o-matic.

Here’s a video explaining a few of the ways to use UTellStory:

SITES THAT DON’T REQUIRE REGISTRATION

There are several slideshow creation sites that don’t require you to register and still meet all my criteria. I think for most classes, if you don’t need the audio narration feature and you’re okay just posting a link instead of embedding the show in a blog or website, these should work fine.

Bookr is another great tool for anybody, including Beginning English Language Learners. You just type in a “tag” to search Flickr for images, drag them into a book and write about them. Here are samples made by my students. Here is a video tutorial showing how to use it.

Big Huge Labs is a site that lets you grab any image off the web — not just Flickr. The interface is not as easy as Bookr’s, but you do have access to far more images.

And, for the very Beginning English Language Learner, there’s the Colgate Smile Slideshow. You just drag-and-drop from a small number of images, and then do the same for captions. This would also be a good introductory activity for younger native English speakers, too.

A SITE WITH A FEW BELLS & WHISTLES

SlideBomb is a new tool that lets you easily create an embeddable slideshow with videos and images grabbed off the web or uploaded from your computer, and you can add text to each slide, too. My only concern, though (in addition to not liking its name), is that some of the other slideshows accessible on the site made by other users might not be appropriate for the classroom. (The site just announced a free Slidebomb Academy site only designed for teachers and students. It’s looks great.)

Biteslide looks like a fairly easy tool to create slideshow-like presentations. It’s worth a look.

SITES WITH A FEW BELLS & WHISTLES — PLUS THEY LET YOU COLLABORATE

There are two sites in particular that have a few easily usable bells and whistles, can be embedded, and let you create slideshows with others over the Internet (not in real-time, though). I was attracted to them because of the collaboration feature and the possibilities of using them with our international sister classes, but they are also excellent sites to use without taking advantage of that aspect of the site.

One is Mixbook, which I think is very accessible (though I wish their tool to write text was a little bit better).

It’s always nice to find a web tool that can be used for a number of purposes, and David Kapuler (whom I have previously nominated for an Edublogs Award) has found one with MentorMob. It lets you very easily create a slideshow. Webpages, videos and photos can be grabbed from the web and added, along with notes. It’s easy to use, very intuitively designed so just about anyone can figure it out, and attractive.

A SITE WITH A HISTORY FOCUS

Digital Vaults from the National Archives has an incredibly easy-to-use tool to create online slideshows related to history. You can access images from historical time periods and easily drag-and-drop them into your show, along with writing captions. It’s just one feature of this extraordinary site.

I am going to add a new one to this list that does not let you grab images off the web, but seems very, very easy to use for simple slideshow creation with your own images.  It’s called PhotoPeach, and it’s worth a look. (They’ve since added the ability to both grab images off the Web and create quizzes within your slideshow)

Projeqt is a very new application — you still need an invite to use it (I requested one in December and just received it) that lets you create what you could call interactive slideshows. In some ways, I might describe it as a more sophisticated Prezi that’s easier to create and less confusing to watch.
It’s not as simple to use as the other apps on this list, but English Language Learners and non-tech savvy users could pick it up pretty quickly (and I’m adding it to that list). If you or your students wanted to create something with a little more pizazz, Projeqt might be the ticket once it gets out of beta.

Knovio might end up being one of the best Web 2.0 applications of the year. You upload a PowerPoint presentation, record a presentation with your microphone and webcam, and then it’s done! It’s free, and it is not open to the public yet, but I received an invitation about five seconds after I requested it.

I’ve mentioned Storify on this blog in passing as an easy way to display “tweets.” In fact, I did just that in my post, Using Storify For “Poverty Matters When…”, when I displayed multiple tweets that began with that phrase. I had thought its use was pretty limited.

Recently, though, Storify announced some major changes, and its now one of the easiest tools to use to create a multimedia digital story. You can search the web for just about anything, including images, tweets, webpages, photos and videos, and use their “drag-and-drop” interface to add your own text and create a story (or a collection of labeled images, or just about anything). It’s really become quite versatile, and it would be difficult to find a tool that’s easier to use. You can also read this post from Read Write Web other uses for the tool.

I just my invitation to try-out Powtoon, a new site (still requires you to request an invite) that lets you create very dynamic-looking presentations. In just a few minutes of playing around with it, it seems to me that it makes it easy for someone to make the kind of PowerPoint-like presentation that only someone very, very experienced with PowerPoint would be able to do. I could see myself using it for presentations I make for my blog or for when I do public-speaking. My concern with a tool like this for students is that they could get so focused using all the cool tools that they would spend more time on the presentation than the content, but I might be wrong.

Rewindy is a new and easy tool to make slideshows. It really doesn’t require much explanation — you click on “create new story,” upload photos or paste the url addresses of ones you want to use off the Web, add text (if you want) to each one, and then you’re done. It’s probably one of the more simple tools out there to create these kind of slideshows. Rewindy is still private, but I received an invitation within days of requesting an invitation.

Meograph lets you tell a story with text, photos, videos, and audio narration. Richard Byrne has written about it a couple of times, so I’d suggest you read how he describes it. In many ways, it seems similar to Tripline, which I’ve previously posted about. Tripline seems a bit easier, though, for students and others to use, though Meograph does look impressive.

I’ve never been a big fan of Prezi — I think my eyes and brain work worker with a more linear presentation. However, I’ve got to say that the new interface they unveiled recently makes it much more accessible for students, and everybody else, to use. You can read about it at TechCrunch at PowerPoint Killer Prezi Launches New Interface.

Photolist is a new tool that seems like a very easy way to make a slideshow (that’s also embeddable) and that lets you also add expanded captions.

emaze is a new slideshow creation tool that looks neat and pretty darn easy. TechCrunch says it hits the “Sweet Spot Between PowerPoint And Prezi.”

Here’s a video describing the service:

Haiku Deck has been an excellent slideshow creating tool for the iPad, and is on The Best Resources For Beginning iPad Users list. They recently unveiled a web version (you can read about it at Richard Byrne’s blog), though you still have to sign-up for an invitation to try it out. Now Richard Byrne has made a tutorial explaining how to use the web version.

I posted about Bunkr, a web tool for creating slideshows, last year and was not impressed. I said then that it didn’t appear to make it easy to include image attribution, and that it you had to pay to use it. Recently, they unveiled a “new” Bunkr and, though I still didn’t see an easy way to include attribution, the interface does appear a lot smoother and it’s free to use. I wouldn’t say it’s as good as some other tools out there, like Haiku Deck. However, with the unpredictability of School District content filters, you can never have too many potential sites to use.

slidebean is a new free tool for creating online slideshows.

It provides multiple formats and the ability to search the Web, within the application, for images.

I’m adding it to The Best Ways To Create Online Slideshows.

Here’s a video that describes how it works:

Thanks to TechCrunch for the tip.

All feedback on this list is welcome.

You can find links to these sites, and to many more slideshow creators, on my website under Student Slideshows.

1. Hi Larry
    The Digital Vault looks amazing.
    Your resources always astound me and your willingness to share out, too.
    Thanks
    Kevin

2. Consider adding your Voicethreads to http://voicethread4education.wikispaces.com/ so other Educators can see your examples. :)

3. Thanks Larry, this is great. I hit a few brickwalls with trying to do a photoshow with the kids using smilebox (firewall preventing access) so magtoo is a great option. Off to check out the others!

4. I checked out magtoo. Do others question its appropriateness?

5. I’ve been using Mixbook of late, and have been pleased. The kids love it.

6. Great post, Larry! Thanks! I was not aware of ShowBeyond and the Digital Vault! I feel like I’ve been under a rock!!

Warm regards,

Miguel Guhlin
    Around the Corner-MGuhlin.org
    http://mguhlin.org

7. Thanks for pointing out VoiceThread! That looks like a pretty great way to overlay voice overs on presentations, and to do it *easily*.

Thanks!

8. Larry – I like this list as there are several on here I have not checked out before and now will. VoiceThread is also my very favorite. However, I’m wondering why you didn’t include SlideShare? Do you think it is more difficult than the others?

• Tracie,

Slideshare seems to be more designed for people to upload presentations that they’ve created using other applications, instead of actually creating them. The other tools that I include on the list that might be similar also provide another value-added benefit, typically it making it very easy to add audio to uploaded presentations.

But I’m open to hearing reasons why it should be included.

Larry

9. Larry – thank you for the clarification – your focus is on slide tools that are entirely web-based – now I have a better understanding of your list! I do really like Slideshare for all the reasons you listed above – especially how simple it is for students to use, edit, and embed. But it does require an upload from a slideshow already created somewhere else.

Although I am fortunate enough to teach in a 1:1 program, an unfortunate aspect of it is that the students do not get to keep the laptops after having them for 3 years in the program. For that reason I am trying to use as many web-based tools with them as possible and not rely on resident applications. That way their transition into life without a laptop will not be so difficult I hope. Your list will help me explore some other options!

10. I thought it was you who tweeted about faculte–if it was, thank you a gazillion times over, but if not, check it out–that has been my número uno tool of choice for professional but also personal needs. I haven’t used many on this list so I need to compare, but it is super easy and though it doesn’t let you upload just any picture from the web, it provides you with a ton of options from flickr.

Thanks for the post, definitely will try others out.

11. HI Larry,

My choices for the best places for students to make online slideshows (with registration) would be OneTrueMedia and Empressr. The capacity to include music and video put them over the top. The capacity to edit the video in OneTrueMedia makes it even more appealing.

If there are other free ones that can do the same I’d love to know.

Thanks,
    PJVermont

12. Pingback: A New Digital Age of Celebration | Teacher Reboot Camp

13. Pingback: Thing #12 – Embedding Video Stories…First Pass…. | Learning2.0/Breda White

14. Pingback: Ideas for E.L.L.s | 'Gangnam Style,' Emotion Words and More - NYTimes.com

15. Pingback: Meograph - for creation of digital animations - Study TEFL Online

16. Pingback: Ideas for E.L.L.'s | - NYTimes.com

17. I did not find any free edocator account in Voicethread.

18. Mary Lou,

Great question! Unfortunately, I’ve never looked for that feature. Usually, I have students write text in a Word document and copy and paste.

Larry