The Best Visually Engaging News Sites

This is a one-of-a-kind “The Best…” list.

I don’t think any of the sites on this list are very accessible to English Language Learners. Those sites can be found at The Best News/Current Events Websites For English Language Learners.

This list is just a collection of links I’ve been accumulating for applications that visually represent current news in particularly unusual ways. I wouldn’t get my news from them, but I thought readers might find them intriguing to glance through. I do admire the creativity of their designers, though. And I do think that some of my mainstream students might find them interesting.

It’s pretty difficult for me to describe them, so I’ll just list them here and let you discover how they work on your own.

Here are my choices for The Best Visually Engaging News Sites:

* News Map

* Reverbiage

* Interceder

* Newser, This site shows a large grid of news photos, along with a headline, short description, its source, and how long ago it has been published.  If you move your cursor to the “more” section of each photo, you get a longer summary.

The New York Times Skimmer

Breaking News is a current events news-reader designed in an intriguing way. You can type in whatever topic you want to read about — soccer, major news, refugees — and you’re provided with a list of headlines to stories about it. Clicking on the headlines will take you to the story. But the real interesting part of the site is that if you click on a globe icon on the upper right of the page, you’ll go to a world map showing you the location of the where the stories are originating. Clicking on the dots will also take you to the story.

Ten By Ten

HeatMap News shows spots on a world map where most news reports are coming from at any given moment (based on Google News). Click on the spot, and you’re then shown article summaries, images and links.

Feel free to offer additional suggestions.

1. Pingback: Interesting video's and visualizations of week 33 | Hypershifters.com

2. http://www.kartoo.com is another search site, offering a new way of visualizing the search results. At the top-right of the screen, activate the “bubble-mapping- icon” (for lack of better words)

3. Pingback: Daily Favorites in Education 08/16/2011 | Teaching Miss Cheska

4. Pingback: She Tweeted You With Science! 08/16/2011 | Teaching Miss Cheska

5. Pingback: Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… - The Best Visually Engaging News Sites | Current Events | Scoop.it