Google Alerts To Start Coming By RSS

A few hours ago I posted about creating a page that would compile various “feeds” that would use search terms. Something like that works well for a broader search time like the one I posted about — “teaching EFL & ESL.”

For something more specific, such as wanting to learn when one of my favorite authors (Harry Turtledove, a science fiction writer, for example) is mentioned, or my family’s surname comes-up somewhere, or a particular ESL/EFL education term is written (Picture Word Inductive Model), I like to use Google Alerts. It will notify me by email once a day if the term I specify appears on the Web.

I read in The Wall Street Journal today that in about a month Google will make these alerts available by RSS Readers, which should make it easier to access and, I assume, result in less “wait-time” between the word appearing and learning about it. Google will still, however, send alerts via email if subscribers prefer it that way.

1. You can create your own feed from the Google Alerts, by following the steps outlined in my blog article:
    Send Google Search Results to Your Newsreader
    http://is.gd/3qw0