The Best Online Karaoke Sites For English Language Learners

I’ve used music a lot with English Language Learners.  Singing feels much less threatening to many who are learning a new language.

Karaoke is a good language-development activity,  and there are quite a few karaoke sites on the Internet.  I thought it would be a good topic for a short “The Best…” list.

In order to make it on this list, a site has to be available free-of-charge (or at least some of its resources have to be free), easy-to-use, require no download, and allow students — either alone or in a group —  to record themselves singing.  A link to their performance can then be posted on a student or teacher website.

There are only a few sites that meet that criteria.  Here are my choices for The Best Online Karaoke Sites For English Language Learners:

The Karaoke Channel Online has an extraordinary collection of songs available…for a price. However, if you choose the free option you have access to two hundred songs, though none of them are particularly up-to-date. But it’s a very easy process to record and save.

SMS Tunes is another similar site.

Sing Snap is the newest addition to this list.  It has all the best qualities of the other sites here — easy to use, free-of-charge, and, if you don’t want to record, you can just listen to others sing while the screen shows the lyrics. Using a webcam is an option, but unlike many Web 2.0 sites, you can still use it if you just have a computer microphone.

Karaoke Party is the newest free online karaoke site. Though I haven’t spent a lot of time checking it out, it seems very comparable to the others on this list.

MikeStar appears to be a new and accessible karaoke site that I’ve learned about from Nik Peachey.

You still need to get an invitation to use Songboard, but it seems to have a pretty clean interface to show music videos with highlighted words as they are sung. It doesn’t have a way to record your singing, and you have to sign in using Facebook (though you can get access to a number of them without signing-in), but it still might be worth checking-out.

You might also be interested in The Best Music Websites For Learning English and The Best Sites To Practice Speaking English.

I’d certainly be interested in hearing suggestions, so please feel free to leave them in the comments section.

1. This site is great

2. Pingback: Instructify » Blog Archive » Karoke, to learn English? I thought it was Japanese?

3. 1.singsnap .com/snap/r/bff 225af

2.kareoke site where you
    can sing songs or listen

3hear others or sing.

4. Last year I had a class of pre-emergent and emergent 1st grade English Language Learners. For the first three months of school the only time they seemed comfortable talking was when I handed them a microphone to sing. Thanks for this!

5. Pingback: Music: The Ultimate Tool

6. I was told that http://www.onlinekaraoke24.com will be a great online karaoke site.

7. Pingback: Last Day- Have A Karaoke Party « Tablet Talk

8. Larry,

I’ve tried all these sites and I urge teachers to prepare and use something that is “safe” and offline (the reasons are obvious I think). I use the karafun player and we have thousands of songs in video and kfn (karafun studio) made by teachers from all over the world. Just download the songs and make your own extensive library for use off line. Even easily export the lyrics.

Also make your own very easily (watch the tutorials on EFL Classroom 2.0 and get the files there).

In addition, there is Go Sing. Get their player and get traditional songs. Takes awhile to download the songs individually to build a library for your students but on EFL Classroom I have a nice zip file of thousands of songs that takes seconds to download. Here is a presentation I’ve used during Karaoke workshops outlining the top 10 reasons to use karaoke in the classroom.
    http://bit.ly/bGRLfd

David
    http://eflclassroom.com

9. Pingback: ESL Tweets | LangCanada Blog

10. Pingback: Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… - The Best Online Karaoke Sites For English Language Learners | #AsiaELT | Scoop.it

11. Pingback: Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… - The Best Online Karaoke Sites For English Language Learners | Sing it in English | Scoop.it

12. Is there a karoke site that allows you to change or creat your own lyrics?

13. Beth,

If you use XP, you can use the karafun player. I used to use the editor and have tutorials there on this page. Hundreds of teachers have also shared karaoke files they created. http://community.eflclassroom.com/page/karafun-get-the-player-and

My recommendation for video subtitling has kept changing over the years and as things develop. Presently, for simplicity, I recommend NCH’s Videopad. Just put in any kind of video and click + to add subtitles. Super simple.

David