More On “USA Learns”

Earlier this month I posted about U.S.A Learns, and exceptional English Language Learner site designed for student self-access. 

My students have found it to be very accessible and engaging.

It belongs on several of my “The Best…” lists, though I haven’t had time to add it to many of them yet.

However, based on an email that John Fleischman, the key person behind the site, has just posted on a listserv coordinated by the National Institute For Literacy (you can learn how to join the listserve by reading The Best Resource Sites For ESL/EFL Teachers) I’m definitely adding it to The Best Sites Where Students Can Work Independently & Let Teachers Check On Progress.

Here’s an excerpt from John’s email (which I don’t quote with his explicit permission, but I assume it’s okay since it’s from a public listserv):

U.S.A. Learns is designed primarily for individual distance learning outside of the traditional classroom.  But a tutor or teacher can use the Web site’s learning management system to create an online class and support one or more students in their studies. The learning management system enables educators to view students’ work and provide feedback online.

Teacher management features allow teachers to:

- Create an online class.
- Print an instruction document to help learners sign up for the online class.
- Monitor a student’s progress and scores.
- Score and comment on writing assignments.
- Post messages to the online class.

To access the management system, go to www.usalearns.org/teacher.

Students who enroll in an online class with a teacher go to www.usalearns.org/class.

1. USALearns works beautifully with my high school newcomers. They are empowered by the use of the computer to do independent work and their ability to get a good grade without any help from anyone else. I use it as weekly homework, giving them a chance to “practice” their English in a very non-threatening, but organized way. It also gives them the opportunity to interact within the school library with confidence. Good move on the part of the Department of Education!