The Best Online Resources For Teachers of Pre-Literate ELL’s

I’ve recently received emails from teachers who have had pre-literate (coming from a culture that does not have a written language, or that has only very recently developed one) or illiterate (coming from a culture that does have a written language, but the student cannot read it) students recently join their classes. The teachers have asked me for suggestions for how they can work with these new arrivals effectively.

Many of my “The Best…” lists can provide helpful resources — both on-and-offline — especially The Best Resource Sites For ESL/EFL Teachers.

In addition, I thought people might find a few other materials helpful.

Five years ago, two thousand Hmong refugees came to Sacramento, and most of them who were high-school age came to our school.  It was my first year teaching after spending nineteen years as a community organizer.  How often can a high school teacher say that his students have never attended a school before?

It was an extraordinary, and unforgettable, experience.

I thought I would share in this list a few of the sites that I found especially helpful when I began teaching that class — in addition to some of the sites I listed on The Best Resource Sites For ESL/EFL Teachers.

Here are my picks for The Best Online Resources For Teachers of Pre-Literate ELL’s:

Teaching Non-Literate Adults is a section of an Adult Education ESL Teacher’s Guide from Texas A & I University.

The ESOL Curriculum Resource Book was developed by a number of organizations, including the University of Tennessee.

Making It Real: Teaching Pre-Literate Adult Refugee Students was created by the Tacoma Community House Training Project.

As always, feedback is welcome.

Just wanted to say that although meant for younger kids, LittleBirdTales.com has become a favorite among many ESL teachers and students because it was developed to help no readers/writers develop their skills in a non threatening, fun way. Because you can record you voice, it means students can listen to instruction, or speak and record their answers, even if they can’t read it. We have new features due late summer that will make it possible for teachers to create assignments, which will help language learners even more!

Many adult and teen students create their first reports in English, using LBT and because they can hear themselves speaking back, they can also distinguish when they are mispronouncing sounds more easily, and work on it till they get it right.

Hope that helps someone out there!

2. This is a great resource. I can use this with my beginner ELLs. Thanks for sharing!