The Best Sources For Advice On Student Blogging

'Blog With Authenticity Without Getting Fired' photo (c) 2009, Search Engine People Blog - license:

Here’s yet another  “The Best…” list — this time focusing the Best Sources For Advice On Student Blogging.  As with all my lists it is regularly updated to keep it current.

This list was last updated November 4, 2015.

Please note:

• Some articles included are older articles (published prior to 2010) and have been included because concepts in the articles apply to the current approach to student blogging.
  • This list has been sorted by blogger.

Sue Waters

Sue Waters is Support Manager of Edublogs | CampusPress and has been helping educators blog with students since 2008.

Here’s a list of Sue’s ‘must read’ posts on student blogging:

Below are Sue’s other important student blogging resources:

Other resources from the Edublogger, Edublogs or Edublogs Community:

Here’s a quick intro video to explain what is a blog.

Silvia Tolisano

Silvia Tolisano is well known for her work with blogging with students.

Here’s a list of Silvia’s ‘must read’ posts on student blogging:

Below are Silvia’s Blogging lesson plan series.  The series was developed in 2008.  While some of the links are old but concepts are good:

1. Introduction to blogging.
  2. Online Safety
  3. Commenting
  4. Writing

Make sure you watch The Possibility of Student Blogging by Andrea Hernandez and Slivia Tolisano.

This video provides an excellent explanation of the blogging and commenting process, impact of quality blogging on student literacy and the importance of writing as part of a global audience.

Bill Ferriter

Bill Ferriter has been blogging with students for almost 10 years and here is his advice:

Gail Desler

Gail Desler supports teachers using blogs with students in her school district. Here are her tips:

Kim Confino

Kim Confino has extensive experience blogging with students and supporting teachers use blogs with students.  You can check out her posts here:

Pernille Ripp

Other Resources

Here is a list of our class blogs.

If you are a blogger, are considering starting a blog, or just want to learn more about blogging, that’s the post where you should start.

As always, feedback and additional suggestions are welcome.

1. Thanks, Larry, for pointing me this way. I absolutely second your “comment” post preference because it really successfully tackles the important issue of politeness 2.0 – an attitude (and also a skill) vital to our students’ presents and futures (and – again – Langwitches does an excellent job by making the complex and necessary sound so easy and manageable…-)

2. Larry,
    This is true collaboration!
    I am getting ready to blog with our 5th graders…start writing how-to posts about it….you get a resource list together for me.

3. Pingback: Langwitches » Blogging with Elementary School Students

4. Hey Larry,

First, I hope you’re well! I haven’t had a chance to stop by in a while and miss learning from you—and from all of your friends over at In Practice.

Second, glad that you found my Commenting on a Voicethread post worthwhile. It’s nice to know that I can help you out a bit, considering how much I’ve learned from you over the past year.

Finally, I also post all of my digital PD resources—on blogging, wikis, Voicethread etc here:

You might find something helpful there for your blogging projects.

Rock right on,

5. Thanks for the great information! I want to have my students blog, and this collection of articles gave me some great ideas for implementing it.

6. Pingback: Daily Diigo Links 12/29/2008 « Chalkdust101

7. Thanks for this Larry, and Bill for your link as well :)
    I have been blogging with my classes for 3 years now, each year building it up by adding an extra class – in 2009, almost all of my classes will be supported by a class blog. I use RSS subscriptions to keep track of the posts and comments. Mostly I just use a class blog, but this year my years 8 students will all make their own reflection/homework blog as well.

8. Pingback: Useful Links (weekly) « Rhondda’s Reflections - wandering around the Web

9. Pingback: Safe Blogging as a Class/Learning Community | A Piece of My Mind

10. I love your amazing links. I don’t know when you find time to do your other work.

I don’t know whether it’s my age, but I’m finding the underlined links difficult to see. Any chance of going to something a little clearer?

• Leigh,

You’re not the first person to mention that problem. It’s a function in the design them on my blog. Sue Waters at Edublogs is helping me figure out a redesign for my blog, and having one that allows links to stand-out a lot more will certainly be an element of it.

11. Pingback: Diigo Post 12/09/2010 | sing imagination

12. Thanks a lot for this! I have been blogging with students for a while, but it is great to think more formally about how I am introducing the various aspects you address. I know I need to be more consistent between classes as well. TIme to get more organized!

13. Pingback: Blogging Meme: You Can Do It Too « What Else? 1DR

14. Just finding this in 2011-great list! Don’t forget Darren Kuropatwa’s “scribe post” method for class blogs:

He got me started and I’ve been at it 3 years now with my environmental science classes. The kids and I develop a rubric to grade quality posts each year.

15. Pingback: Why I Want My Students to Blog | Teaching Context