The Best Sources For Advice On Student Blogging

'Blog With Authenticity Without Getting Fired' photo (c) 2009, Search Engine People Blog - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Though my classes have done some limited blogging and communicating with other classes in our International Sister Classes Project, I’m seriously considering trying it more seriously with one of my classes next year.

Because of that, I’ve been trying to learn more about other people’s experiences. I thought I’d in a short “The Best…” list the places I’ve found most helpful, and I’d certainly like to solicit other suggestions for additions to this list.

Here are my choices for The Best Sources For Advice On Student Blogging:

Sue Waters’ at The Edublogger (of course!) has an excellent post titled Tips On Blogging With Students. It’s filled with advice from teachers who have successfully done so for years.  Here’s another version of that information.

Silvia Tolisano at the Langwitches blog just this week began posting a series of Blogging Lesson Plans. I particularly like the one on Commenting.  She’s also made all of these blogging lessons available for download.

Bill Ferriter at The Tempered Radical wrote a post about commenting on Voice Thread presentations, but it’s certainly applicable to commenting on blog posts, too. He also offers some good advice in his post Two Critical Tips For Classroom Blog Projects.

Rubrics To Evaluate Classroom Blogging from Enhancing Teaching and Learning offers a variety of useful rubrics.

Sue Waters has done it again with a great post titled Ideas For Student Bloggings From….How Do You Do What You Do!.  It’s filled with “how-to” tips for teachers.

Sue Waters has written another great post titled Quick Start Tips For Student Blogging Part I: Setting Up Your Class Blog.

My Blogging Adventure – Some Ideas For Blogger Wannabes by Burcu Akyol offers great advice specifically for ESL/EFL teachers.

Gail Desler has written an excellent post titled Five Tips for Helping Students Become Better Bloggers.

Student Blogging Guidelines is a great post by Kim Cofino.

Five Borrowed Tips for Helping Students Become Better Bloggers is another great post by Gail Desler.

Sue Waters has announced the winners of a contest for the best advice on student blogging in the classroom. Announcing The Winners Of The “ your tips–and win BIG!” Competition! is a great source of advice.

Bill Ferriter has written several posts with great tips for teachers who are having their students write blogs.

Here are some good and simple commenting guidelines for students.

What You Wanted To KNOW About Student Blogging is another great post by Sue Waters

“What advice would you give for blogging with ESL/EFL students?” is Sue Waters’ latest post. In it, she advice I have offered, and asks for more suggestions.

If you are using Edublogs with your classes, they’ve set-up a great guide called Tips and Tricks For Setting Up a Class Blog.

The Courage To Blog With Students is an article by my Teacher Leaders Network colleague Marsha Ratzel that is a “must-read” for any teacher using blogs with their students, or considering the idea. It appears in Education Week: Teacher Magazine.

Three Teachers’ Answers to Questions on Classroom Microblogging is from The New York Times Learning Network.

As most teachers who have students writing blogs know, kids get very excited when people leave comments on their posts. Of course, we all appreciate it when people respond to our writing, and nothing beats having an authentic audience. I recently learned through Paula Naugle, a teacher in New Orleans, about the ability to solicit comments on student blogs through Twitter by using the hashtag #comments4kids. She relates in her blog post that her students received over 1,500 comments this year. And she told me separately that 70% of them were generated through use of that hashtag. I think that’s amazing. The hashtag idea is brilliant, and I’d love to give credit to whomever came up with the idea. Let me know if you know who did. (Paula writes that “The creator of the #comment4kids hashtag is William Chamberlain. There are teachers and student bloggers all over the world who are so thankful to Will for this innovative idea.”)

Our tips for getting blogs ready for the end of the school year is by Sue Waters.

14 Steps to Meaningful Student Blogging by Pernille Ripp

Sample letter to parents re blogging could come in very handy.

Here is a list of our class blogs.

Here’s a post from Darren Kuropatwa recommended by Derrick Willard.

EDUBLOGS TEACHER CHALLENGES is from Edublogs.

Implementing Blogging in the Classroom is at Langwitches.

QuadBlogging Connects Student Writers with Global Audiences is by Suzi Boss at Edutopia.

Getting More Out of Student Blogging is by Sue Waters.

Blogging Resources for Classroom Teachers is from Bill Ferriter.

Help parents and students connect is a post that’s part of the Edublogs Teacher Challenges, and offers advice to teachers on how…parents and children (and teachers) can connect through blogging.

Sue Waters has just published a very useful post over at The Edublogger titled The Top 10 Ways Blogs and WordPress Are Used in Schools.

If you are a blogger, are considering starting a blog, or just want to learn more about blogging, that’s the post where you should start.

As always, feedback and additional suggestions are welcome.

1. Thanks, Larry, for pointing me this way. I absolutely second your “comment” post preference because it really successfully tackles the important issue of politeness 2.0 – an attitude (and also a skill) vital to our students’ presents and futures (and – again – Langwitches does an excellent job by making the complex and necessary sound so easy and manageable…-)

2. Larry,
    This is true collaboration!
    I am getting ready to blog with our 5th graders…start writing how-to posts about it….you get a resource list together for me.
    THANK YOU!

3. Pingback: Langwitches » Blogging with Elementary School Students

4. Hey Larry,

First, I hope you’re well! I haven’t had a chance to stop by in a while and miss learning from you—and from all of your friends over at In Practice.

Second, glad that you found my Commenting on a Voicethread post worthwhile. It’s nice to know that I can help you out a bit, considering how much I’ve learned from you over the past year.

Finally, I also post all of my digital PD resources—on blogging, wikis, Voicethread etc here:

http://digitallyspeaking.pbwiki.com

You might find something helpful there for your blogging projects.

Rock right on,
    Bill

5. Thanks for the great information! I want to have my students blog, and this collection of articles gave me some great ideas for implementing it.

6. Pingback: Daily Diigo Links 12/29/2008 « Chalkdust101

7. Thanks for this Larry, and Bill for your link as well :)
    I have been blogging with my classes for 3 years now, each year building it up by adding an extra class – in 2009, almost all of my classes will be supported by a class blog. I use RSS subscriptions to keep track of the posts and comments. Mostly I just use a class blog, but this year my years 8 students will all make their own reflection/homework blog as well.

8. Pingback: Useful Links (weekly) « Rhondda’s Reflections - wandering around the Web

9. Pingback: Safe Blogging as a Class/Learning Community | A Piece of My Mind

10. I love your amazing links. I don’t know when you find time to do your other work.

I don’t know whether it’s my age, but I’m finding the underlined links difficult to see. Any chance of going to something a little clearer?

• Leigh,

You’re not the first person to mention that problem. It’s a function in the design them on my blog. Sue Waters at Edublogs is helping me figure out a redesign for my blog, and having one that allows links to stand-out a lot more will certainly be an element of it.

Larry

11. Pingback: Diigo Post 12/09/2010 | sing imagination

12. Thanks a lot for this! I have been blogging with students for a while, but it is great to think more formally about how I am introducing the various aspects you address. I know I need to be more consistent between classes as well. TIme to get more organized!

13. Pingback: Blogging Meme: You Can Do It Too « What Else? 1DR

14. Just finding this in 2011-great list! Don’t forget Darren Kuropatwa’s “scribe post” method for class blogs: http://adifference.blogspot.com/2009/02/my-class-blogs-part-1.html

He got me started and I’ve been at it 3 years now with my environmental science classes. The kids and I develop a rubric to grade quality posts each year.

15. Pingback: Why I Want My Students to Blog | Teaching Context