The Best Sites For Free ESL/EFL Hand-Outs & Worksheets

There are tons of places on the Internet where you can find ESL/EFL hand-outs and worksheets of varied quality and varied cost.  You can find a very long list of them on my website under ESL Hand-Outs And Lesson Plans.

I thought a “The Best…” list highlighting the sites that I thought were best might be useful to readers. This is sort of a companion list to The Best Resource Sites For ESL/EFL Teachers.

In order to make it on this list, the site needed to have a large quantity of high-quality resources available — free of charge — for printing-out. In addition, I’ve only listed sites that do not require registration, either. And, I’ve only listed sites whose materials I’ve actually used in my own classroom.

Many ESL/EFL textbooks have most of the same information that these hand-outs and worksheets offer. However, even — as most of us who teach ESL/EFL do — if we use a textbook, these kinds of worksheets are valuable for a few reasons:

* I’ve found that many teacher-created worksheets are just plain better at helping students learn than the textbooks I have seen, so they are excellent supplements.

* Since students can’t write in most textbooks, unless it’s a “consumable,” worksheets are good materials for students to annotate.

* These kinds of worksheets are great for use in reinforcing games. For example, I’ll have different “stations” where small groups of rotating students — under stringent time limits — have to complete different hand-outs. We then correct them as a class and tabulate the results to determine a group “winner.”

Of course, if you’re teaching in an environment that cannot afford a newer textbook — or any textbook at all –  then these kinds of hand-outs are indispensable.

As I’ve mentioned, there are ton of these kinds of sites out there, and I’m sure I don’t know them all. If you know of sites that you think should belong on this list, please feel free to write about them in the comments section.

Since all the sites listed here meet the criteria I mentioned earlier, I’m not going to describe each one in detail.  Instead, I’ll just provide the name and the link.

Here are my picks for The Best Sites For FRee ESL/EFL Hand-Outs & Worksheets (not in any order of preference):

EFL Classroom 2.0 Worksheets

MES-English

My English Printable Worksheets

Lanternfish

EFL Club Resource Box

ESL-Kids

English Images

The Guardian Teacher Network, from the British newspaper, has thousands of resources that can be printed out and used in the classroom. I was quite impressed with the high quality of the materials that I saw, and many can be used with English Language Learners.

Checking-out ESL Library has been on my “to do” list for quite awhile. I’ve been impressed with the free sample lessons and worksheets they offer, but, with all the quality free resources out there, I’m hesitant to spend time on sites that charge. Jason Renshaw saved me the trouble by writing a very informative and positive review of the site (which charges $55 a year). Since I value Jason’s opinion so highly, I’ve got to take his word for it, and so I’m adding ESL Library to this list with the important caveat, of course, that it’s not free, but worth paying for. I also have another important caveat — before you spend any money on any ESL/EFL materials, you need to go to Jason’s own site, English Raven, and join it. Many of his materials are free, and to access additional resources, he just asks that you pay what you can. His stuff is the best!

ESL Galaxy

Using English

EL Civics

ESL PDF

Teaching Ideas is a site in the United Kingdom that offers a ton of free printables, among other things.

ESL Flow seems to have a good number of useful reproducibles.

Teach-This.com

Network Now has quite a few very good free downloadable materials for teaching and learning English.

As always, feedback is welcome.

1. Hello Larry
    Thank you for the great list of resources and review.
    I’ve started developing my own blog, where i share my esol (thats how it called in the UK) worksheets, handouts and other resources. All free to download and/or print. There is only a few at the moment but i’ll be adding more regularly.
    From your experience which worksheets are most in demand, most popular, hardest to find?
    Check it out and feel free to comment and share it with your readers.
    I will much appreciate your honest feedback.
    Many thanks
    Lily
    Check it out http://esolworksheets.com

2. Pingback: Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… - This Week’s “Links I Should Have Posted About, But Didn’t”

3. Good night,

I would like to recommend a site where teachers and parents can buy original resources, such as interactive games and worksheets, for their children:

http://www.eslchallenge.net

Thank you,

Sandra

4. I suggest the 3,815 free lesson plans (with multiple-page handouts, mp3s, online quizzes, etc.). Lessons added to several times a week.
    - http://www.freeeslmaterials.com/sean_banville_lessons.html