The Best Sites For Learning About Women’s History

'New logo - March, Women's History Month Postcard' photo (c) 2012, Jewish Women's Archive - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

March is Women’s History Month in the United States so I thought I’d prepare another “The Best…” list.

I usually have my U.S. History students make a poster about a well-known woman in history as well as a woman who they have known personally and who they admire.

As with all the sites on my lists, they need to be accessible to English Language Learners.

You might also be interested in The Best Resources For Learning About Women’s Suffrage.

Here are my choices for The Best Sites For Learning About Women’s History, not in order of any preference. Unless I’ve noted otherwise, these sites are all primarily resources for accessible biographies of famous women:

* The Children’s Encyclopedia Of Women

* National Women’s Hall of Fame

* National Women’s History Project

* Scholastic’s Women Who Changed History

* The Encyclopedia Britannica has a section called 300 Women Who Changed The World.

* Spartacus International: USA History — Women’s Suffrage

* The History Channel’s Women’s History Month site, which also includes a lot of multimedia resources.

* The National Educational Association has many resources for Women’s History Month, including lesson plans.

* Time For Kids Women’s History Month

* The Smithsonian has an online exhibition called Women Of Our Time. It focuses on influential women of the twentieth century.

* Awesome Stories has lots of related resources.

Milpitas Chat shares a number of good online ESL lessons related to Women’s History.

International Women’s Day occurs every March 8th. Here is a series of photos from The Sacramento Bee showing how it is celebrated around the world.

The New York Times has created an interactive of “reader submitted photographs from around the world that illustrate the importance of educating girls and empowering women.”

Women’s History Month Across the Curriculum comes from the New York Times Learning Network.

The Wall Street Journal has a slideshow titled Marking International Women’s Day, and it shows how it was celebrated around the world.

“A Brief History Of Women In Power” is the title of a TIME Magazine slideshow.

“The 25 Most Powerful Women of the Past Century” is an accessible feature from TIME Magazine.

The Biography Channel has a very impressive collection of resources.

Gender Gap is an interesting interactive from The Wall Street Journal.

Using The New York Times for Teaching and Learning About Women is another excellent resource from The New York Times Learning Network.

International Women’s Day: Voices from around the world – interactive comes from The Guardian.

16 Of History’s Most Rebellious Women is a slideshow from TIME Magazine.

Celebrating 100th Women’s Day is a slideshow from The Wall Street Journal.

Women’s History is a great lesson collection from The Zinn Education Project.

Photo Essay: International Women’s Day 2011 comes from PBS.

100 years of scientific breakthroughs – by women is a slideshow from The Guardian.

Worst places in the world for women is an interactive from The Guardian.

World’s Most Dangerous Countries for Women is a photo gallery from The Boston Globe.

Thinkfinity has resources
on Women’s History Month.

International Women’s Day: political rights around the world mapped is a good interactive from The Guardian.

The Biography Channel has a Women’s History Timeline.

Women’s History Month.gov has lots of resources.

Women’s rights country by country – interactive is from The Guardian.

I’m unclear where this Gender Inequality Index Around The World gets its information from, but it does seem useful and accessible.

Gender Inequality Index around the world

by Knoema.
Explore more infographics like this one on the web’s largest information design community – Visually.

If you found this post useful, you might want to look at previous and also consider subscribing to this blog for free.

1. Pingback: March is Women’s History Month! | Technology News On Tuesdays

2. Pingback: 2012 National Women’s History Month: Women’s Education – Women’s Empowerment « From Surviving to Thriving