The Best Places For Students To Write Their Resumes

'Green Resume CV & Business Card' photo (c) 2009, buyalex - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

When I originally wrote The Best Websites For Students Exploring Jobs and Careers, there were quite a few free resume-writing sites out there that had a lot of scaffolding to help people write resumes, but only one gave you the option to print it out so it looked nice on paper.

Apparently, over the past year most of these sites figured out that in order to get a job, most people were going to need a hard copy of their resume and not just a virtual one online.  So, happily, there’s more of a choice out there, and all of them seem pretty equally accessible to English Language Learners.

In fact, there are enough of them to warrant their own “The Best…” list. Thanks to a recent Mashable post, I was able to learn about more of them.

Here are my picks for The Best Places For Students To Write Their Resumes (not in any order of preference):

How To Write A Resume also lets students create their resumes.  It’s free, very “scaffolded,” and provides multiple ways to download and print a hard copy.

And Razume is the final one on this list.

Resumega is a new and very scaffolded site where students can create their own resumes. Lots of samples are included, and it’s easy to print out the final product.

Job Spice is a new site to create resumes for posting online or for printing out. It’s very accessible to English Language Learners. Demo Girl has also created a screencast on how to use it.  My only concern is that it appears you have to download your resume prior to printing it out, which might be a problem for some school computers that are configured to not allow downloads. I might just be missing something, though.

Resume Companion looks like a very easy, and scaffolded, tool to create a resume.

What NOT to do: 7 ways to ruin your resume is an excellent list of Yahoo. The 7 ways in bullet points are accessible to ELL’s, though the short explanations might be challenging. It’s a little out of place with the other links on this list, but I’m including it because it’s just so useful.

cvmaker is another good site where students can create resumes.

Resunate is an easy online tool to create a resume.

Resumonk lets you easily create resumes. It’s one of the easiest tools out there that I’ve seen — students can quickly make a PDF.

This is a useful resume infographic:

Resume Builder Online is a very simple tool to…create a resume.

CVS Intellect

HipCV is a new resume-builder site that, importantly, lets you download your resume as a PDF. It provides a pretty straightforward guide to adding information to a resume, which is important for students.

Though I’m not sure the world needs yet one more online resume-builder, Resume-Now is a new decent site that provides a lot of step-by-step guidance and lets you download the finished product.

Job Scout has a number of interactive computer tutorials designed for people very new to tech, plus it also offers a guided tool for creating resumes. And they’re all free. TechCrunch says they have also just announced a Spanish version, but I haven’t been able to locate it online yet.

Resume Genius

Ten things not to put on your CV
Explore more infographics like this one on the web’s largest information design community – Visually.

Write a Rockin
Explore more visuals like this one on the web’s largest information design community – Visually.

I’d still encourage readers to check-out The Best Websites For Students Exploring Jobs and Careers because it has several other excellent resources related to job-hunting and exploring careers.

As always, feedback is welcome.

1. Thanks for the mention in your post! We’ve recently completed a major update to the GigTide application and website. Please feel free to check us out – we’d love to hear some feedback on the upgrade.

2. I think the value of the resume as a job search tool for teens is almost nil. They would be much better off practicing completing job applications. Resumes rarely give the information an employer needs — or that a student needs to complete a job application.

I worked a couple summers in the Human Resources department of a resort which had many jobs for entry-level, unskilled workers. By law, we had to have a completed job application in order to consider a person for a job. We could not accept an application that said “see resume.”

One of my tasks was to watch to see which applicants had information with them to complete an application and which had to borrow a telephone book or make a couple cell phone calls to get information needed on the application. Those people’s applications went to the bottom of the pile.

An article based on my experience in that office gives advice to job seekers: http://bit.ly/aJa94R

3. another good resume builder that is free to use is http://www.careerigniter.com

4. The point is you have to be able to download it to see what it looks like in terms of layout etc. another get tool – http://www.pure-jobs.com

5. Thanks for compiling this list! I am teaching a junior high “careers” class right now and we are using some of your resources (including some of the websites from your “Best Websites for Students Exploring Jobs and Careers” post). I wondered if you have suggestions for where to find good sample résumés? Most of my students are too young/inexperienced to even know yet what a résumé is or should look like. Having a handful of good examples would give them a better idea than instructions to create their own, especially when they have so little job experience at this point.

Nice piece with some good advice and links. Some of the infographics make some very interesting points with regard to where to focus your efforts on your CV. One thing that should always be kept in mind when creating your CV is the industry or job role you’re applying for. It’s important for your CV to reflect what that specific employer is looking for eg. if it’s a creative position then you’re CV needs to have some flare so you can stand out from the crowd.

We actually offer a range of free CV templates which can be downloaded using our CV building website, take a look if you have time here – http://www.jobulo.com/ – as well as enabling our users to create a unique CV we also have a large advice section on all things related to job searching and applications.

Good luck to all the job seekers out there!