The Best Sites For Learning About The Holocaust

'Lithograph by Leo Haas (1901-1983), Holocaust artist,  who survived Theresienstadt and Auschwitz' photo (c) 2010, Center for Jewish History, NYC - license: http://www.flickr.com/commons/usage/

(Note: You might also want to see The Best Resources For Learning About Genocide)

International Holocaust Remembrance Day is on January 27th. It marks the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau, the largest Nazi death camp. The United States officially commemorates the Holocaust during Days of Remembrance, which is held each April, marking the anniversary of the Warsaw Ghetto uprising.

I thought I’d quickly put together a “The Best…” list of sites I’ve used with my students to help them learn about the Holocaust.

You might also find The Best Web Resources On Darfur useful, as well as The Best Resources For Learning About The Warsaw Uprising. and The Best Resources For Learning About Genocide. Also, The Best Sites To Learn About Anne Frank.

Here are my choices for The Best Sites For Learning About The Holocaust (and are accessible to English Language Learners):

“Auschwitz After 65 Years” is the title of a TIME Magazine slideshow.

Glencoe has a multimedia presentation on the Holocaust.

How Stuff Works has an excellent collection of short and accessible online videos about the Holocaust.

Holocaust Remembrance Day is actually recognized internationally on January 27th. Here is a Breaking News English lesson that provides audio support for the text on that day.

That lesson, designed for English Language Learners, is followed by an online exercise.

The United States Memorial Holocaust Museum has many resources. Life In The Shadows: Hidden Children and the Holocaust and Life After The Holocaust are multimedia presentations that are particularly accessible to English Language Learners.  You can find all their online exhibitions here.

Flight and Rescue is another multimedia (including closed captions) online exhibition of the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.  It describes the flight of 2,000 Polish Jews to safety.

Give Me Your Children: Voices From The Lodz Ghetto is another accessible presentation from the Holocaust Museum.

Kristallnacht In Words and Photographs
is a slideshow from TIME Magazine about “the day the Holocaust began.”

The History Channel has an excellent site on the Holocaust.

The BBC has a good animation about concentration camps, particularly Auschwitz, but it’s probably only accessible to advanced ELL’s.

Darfur is not the only place in the world where genocide is happening today. Genocide in the Congo also comes from the Holocaust Museum and has,  among other elements,  a journal written by Angelina Jolie.  She also provides audio of the text.

Buchenwald: Horror and Liberation, 1945 is a slideshow from LIFE.

Remembering The Holocaust is a slideshow from The Wall Street Journal.

Brainpop has two good movies –one on the Holocaust and the other on Anne Frank.  Unfortunately, you have to purchase a subscription to view them, but they do offer a free trial.

Here are some materials on non-Jews who risked their lives to save Jews from the Holocaust:

Irena Sendler was a Pole who is credited with saving 2,500 Jewish children.

The Teachers Guide to the Holocaust has materials on many “rescuers.”

I’ve also shown clips from movies portraying Jewish resistance to the Holocaust. Here are some Youtube links to them, though I’d encourage you to get the movies and show lengthier segments:

Defiance is the recent movie starring Daniel Craig.

Uprising, about resistance in the Warsaw ghetto.

Grey Zone, about an uprising at a concentration camp.

If you don’t want to rent the movies, and your school blocks YouTube, you can learn other ways to show these clips at school at The Best Ways To Access Educational YouTube Videos At School.

And here is one last teacher resource — The Museum of Tolerance has a lot of resources on the Holocaust for teachers.

Also, David Truss left a comment to both share a post from his blog reflecting on his visit to the Holocaust Museum in Israel, and to suggest a poem be added to this list:

“In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;

And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;

And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;

And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up.”

Pastor Martin Niemöller

Another suggestion in the comments section came from Edna, who recommended I include the Educational Materials from the Holocaust Museum in Israel.

The New York Times Learning Network also has several good lessons on the Holocaust, as does Teaching Tolerance.

Acts of Remembrance: Reflecting on How the Holocaust Is Taught comes from The New York Times Learning Network.

Children of war: Holocaust survivors is an Associated Press interactive.

Last Folio: A Living Monument to the Holocaust is a slideshow from TIME.

Holocaust Remembrances and Memorials is a slideshow from The PBS News Hour.

Honoring the 6 million victims of Nazi Holocaust is a slideshow from The Sacramento Bee.

Documentary seeks to explain why Albanians saved Jews in Holocaust is from CNN.

The Guardian recently published Stories from Terezín: the Nazi transit camp with a musical legacy – interactive. Here’s how they describe it:

During the second world war, great composers were imprisoned at the Terezín concentration camp near Prague. They were permitted to perform and compose music – before being sent to their deaths in the gas chambers at Auschwitz. Their efforts were exploited by the Nazis for propaganda purposes, but the legacy of the compositions created and played at Terezín lives on. As London’s Nash Ensemble prepares to take a performance of the Czech composers’ work home to Prague, Ed Vulliamy has spoken to some of the camp’s survivors.

Use the navigation arrows and the menu at the bottom of the interactive to read their stories, watch videos and hear some of the music composed by the people of Terezín.

iWitness is a pretty amazing multimedia resource on The Holocaust.

Holocaust: We Are Witness is from the Sun-Sentinel newspaper.

As always, feedback is welcome.

I’ve just gone to a few links so far and WOW- once again you’ve done a fantastic job collecting resources and creating a very worthy ‘best of’.

On Remembrance Day last year I wrote a blog post with my reflection on visiting the Holocaust Museum in Israel, and I’ve shared it with the link to my name above.

I think this poem is a great conversation starter for students:

Pastor Martin Niemöller

Thanks again!

2. I’m reading Number the Stars with two of my sixth-grade classes. Some of these resources will be wonderful additions to our study of life during the Holocaust. Thank you!

3. Hi Larry

Thanks for that!

You might like to add a link to the educational resources page at Yad Vashem, the Holocaust Museum in Israel www1.yadvashem.org/education/educational_materials.html

4. The Museum Fellowship Teaching Resources site at http://mandelproject.us offers lesson plans and book reviews which have been submitted by teachers who have been affiliated with the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. The materials may be used by educators seeking meaningful educational resources about the Holocaust. Lesson plans have been successfully field-tested and include additional online support documents.

5. Larry,

Great resources as always. I’d just like to add a few things.

I’ve taught a number of holocaust related books like “Night” and “Number the Stars” but by far, Hana’s Suitcase is the most powerful and full of teaching opportunity. Real story – nice website too. http://www.hanassuitcase.ca/

Probably the best movies on the holocaust are Night and Fog and Shoah (very long but with great interviews). The Nat. Film Board of Canada http://nfb.ca has a great doc. also – Memorandum I don’t think the Simon Weisenthal Centre (there are a number), made your list. http://www.wiesenthal.com

By far the most important book to me on the holocaust is Martin Gilbert’s exhaustive catalogue “The Holocaust”. No embellishment, just facts of what happened.

It might also be useful to think about Jane Elliot’s ground breaking Blue Eyed / Brown Eyed experiments with her own Grade 3s – done many years ago.

But the best thing I’ve found for teaching is to make it real and bring someone to class that has a personal connection and story to tell. Or have students do a personal biography of a person who lived through the Shoah.

David

6. Thank you for writing and sharing that annotated best of the Holocaust Education sites. It’s far more helpful and practical than just a long list from prominent and international museums that I recently saw.

I’m going to go ahead and share your posting on FB and Twitter too.

7. Pingback: My Weekly Diigo Bookmarks (weekly) | My Squirrelly View of Education

8. Thank you for this wonderful list of resources.
    There is another one I would like to share with you: IWitness is from the USC Shoah Foundation Institute, and it is an amazing resource that allows users to interact with testimonies of witnesses and survivors. In fact, recently Steven Spielberg announced an exciting initiative – a contest for students called the IWitness Challenge that inspires students to take on good works in their communities, inspired by the legacy of the testimonies in IWitness. We were proud to have him make the announcement at Chandler School, where I teach an elective with IWitness. I think it’s a transformative tool, and something anyone interested in teaching about service learning, history, psychology, the Holocaust, storytelling, or digital video production would want to see. Where do you find it? Iwitness.usc.edu.