The Best Resources For Learning About World Malaria Day

'malaria' photo (c) 2007, Lamerie - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

As I was driving back home from school today,  I heard on National Public Radio that April 25th is World Malaria Day (also, get more information here).

To quote from The Financial Times:

“More than 40 per cent of the world’s population is at risk from malaria with about 500 million cases every year and more than 1 million deaths in sub-Saharan Africa.”

Since I’m taking my Intermediate English class to the computer lab on Friday, and all of them come from countries where malaria is quite active, I thought I’d put together a quick list of sites for them to visit.

I’ve divided this “The Best…” list into two sections — one with sites that are accessible to English Language Learners, and the other sharing teacher resources that include materials that could be modified for ELL’s.

Here are my choices for The Best Resources For Learning About World Malaria Day:

FOR STUDENTS:

UNICEF has a short online video titled — Fighting Malaria in Africa.

Here are three short videos from ABC News:

A Success Story In Fighting Malaria

Malaria Awareness

How To Cure Malaria

The CBBC Newsround has two short and accessible articles on malaria:

Fighting Malaria in Africa

Angeline’s Story

ESL Holiday Lessons has an activity on Malaria Awareness that provides audio support for the text.

That same lesson includes online exercises.

Breaking News English also has an online lesson for ELL’s on Malaria in Africa.

It, too, has a follow-up online exercise.

The Voice of America has a short article, Malaria Parasite Becoming Resistant to Most Effective Medicine

The Deliver The Net online video game has players…delivering virtual mosquito nets to African villagers. It’s sponsored by the United Nations Foundation There’s little benefit in the game for English language development. However, if you finish the game and sign-up for an email newsletter, business supporters will donate $10 to provide nets.

Where Malaria Still Kills
is a New York Times slideshow.

President Obama made a statement on World Malaria Day last year.

Worldwide Malaria Deaths is an interactive map.

A Brief, Animated History Of Malaria Drugs is an animation I’ve embedded below that’s from NPR that’s actually pretty interesting (if, for some reason, the embed code is not working, you can see it here).

Source: mackenziechild.org

Source: Uploaded by user

Source: ow.ly

FOR TEACHERS:

ESL Printables has some good resources for ELL’s on malaria.

The Seattle Times has a huge amount of resources on the disease and efforts to fight it.

Here’s a pretty thorough infographic on malaria.

Newest Development On The Vaccine Front

Explore more infographics like this one on the web’s largest information design community – Visually.

As always, feedback is welcome.

1. The campaign to provide bed nets is tantamount to telling families in Africa to stay in bed. Take a few minutes to watch this video by WORLDwrite volunteers

http://www.worldbytes.org/programmes/006/006_002.html

2. Pingback: March 2010: Challenge 7 – Late, late, late again | Challenge Yourself to Blog