The Best Online Videos Showing ESL/EFL Teachers In The Classroom

'Teacher In Classroom' photo (c) 2006, www.audio-luci-store.it - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

There are not really that many online videos showing ESL/EFL teachers working with students in a classroom.  There are some, though, and I thought I’d put them together in another “The Best…” list.

I have a little reluctance about calling this a “The Best…” list, though, since I haven’t watched many of the videos, and can’t say for sure if I think they really show good instructional strategies. However, most come recommended by other blogger/teachers whose judgment I respect, so I decided to indeed use the word “Best.”

Here are my picks for The Best Online Videos Showing ESL/EFL Teachers In The Classroom:

Nik Peachey recommends a series of fourteen videos produced by the Online English Language Center in conjunction with the University of Oregon called Shaping The Way We Teach English.

David Deubelbeiss at the extraordinary EFL Classroom 2.0 has quite a collection of useful teaching videos. This the direct link to them, though you have to join in order to watch. Joining is free and takes seconds.

Learning The Language (not to be confused with Mary Ann Zehr’s excellent Ed Week blog with the same name) is a documentary taking a semester-long look at an adult ESL class in Texas. Kenneth Beare recommends it.

Animated Teacher Training doesn’t have videos.  Instead, it has animated modules with text and audio support to help ESL/EFL teachers learn how to teach.  I found this on EFL Classroom 2.0.

David Rosen recommends the videos that demonstrate teaching adults ESL at the Media Library of Teaching Skills for adult learning and literacy. They have links to even more similar videos here.

The Learning English Video Project

The New American Horizons Foundation has created The Adult ESL Training Video Project. They’re creating a series of training videos, Teaching ESL to Adults: Classroom Approaches in Action. Eight of the videos are now available to watch for free online.

TEFL Videos has over 100 short videos of actual lessons in the classroom with English Language Learners. You have to pay $95 for a year subscription to it, however. I can’t recommend paying for them, but they also have ten you can see for free. The two that I looked at seemed pretty decent, so the site is worth a look.

Watch and Learn is a series of four videos from Colorin Colorado. Here is how it describes the feature:

Funded by the American Federation of Teachers, Watch & Learn presents four video modules featuring strategies from secondary ELL classrooms and interviews with experts on ELL best practices.

Supporting English Language Learners, Grades 1 to 8 Video and Print Resources has a number of useful classroom videos.

The British Council has a video collection of ESL teachers in the classroom.

CLEAR at Michigan State University has just unveiled a great collection of language-teaching videos. You can read more about it here.

Video Series Playlist: English Language Learners is from The Teaching Channel and has an accompanying blog post.

Classroom Video Modules comes from Colorin Colorado.

McGraw Hill has a ton of online videos showing ELL teachers in action.

Suggestions and feedback, as always, are welcome.

Did you take a look at the ESOL and ESOL family literacy videos on http://mlots.org ? While you’re there, also select the link at the bottom of the front page that leads to others’ videos. There are some great adult ed classroom ESOL videos there too.

David
    David J. Rosen

2. I teach new immigrants, mostly Latinos. My course is not offficially ESL/EFL but the reality is that is what I do. I got to this site through a TESOL recommendation as I am trying to learn how to do my job better. One thing I came up with may be useful to others teaching Hispanics. I put together a resource that features the special problems that Spanish speakers have with English. It is a print book with access to a website containing sound files with exercises and practice of the grammar and pronunciation issues in the book. There is a little more detail about it at http://www.InglesParaLatinos.com/TuLibro_dos.htm
    Although I hope this moves on Amazon to aid my retirement, I am not a very good businessman; I am more a teacher so teacher and community groups can contact me at [email protected] and we can work on ways to get it to their students.

3. Pingback: “online teacher training resources” | Ballarat ESL Korero

4. Great Post! I’d like to bring our videos to your attention as well: http://www.teflvideos.com/. I’ll let you be the judge if they’re “the best” or not, but I think they are better than most of the videos out there. Feedback is welcomed! -Jason Klass

5. Pingback: The Best Online Videos Showing ESL/EFL Teachers In The Classroom | Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | Learn English Related Pages

6. Pingback: Metalist on Larry Ferlazzo | Language, Education, Technology

7. Harold Ramis in Stripes:

http://youtu.be/XJqlfMP-klM