The Best Ways For Students To Create Their Own Online Art Collections

Many art museum websites offer users the ability to choose favorites from their online exhibitions and create an online exhibition. The best also let you write captions and describe these individualized collections, and then allow you to post the link on a website or blog.

This kind of activity provides lots of language-development opportunities for all levels of English Language Learners. so I thought it would be a good topic for a “The Best…” list.

You can find links to all the sites on this list, and other “art collection” sites that didn’t quite make the grade, on my website under Student Art Collections.

Of course, students can also create collections of art work they’ve have created online. You can find those sites at The Best Art Websites For Learning English.

Here are my picks of The Best Ways For Students To Create Their own Online Art Collections (by the way, all links will take you directly to the “make your own collection” page of the museum). These are not listed in any order of preference, though I do like the last three sites I list a lot:

The Tate Museum lets you choose from a limited number of paintings, describe your collection, and then email the link.

My Collection from the Smithsonian American Art Museum is a favorite. You can choose from among 20,000 art objects, and you can display your collection as a slideshow.  Understanding how to use the site isn’t quite as obvious here as it is in the other ones I’ve listed, but it should only take a minute or two to explain to students how it works.

Another favorite that is a bit different is called The Art of Storytelling from the Delaware Art Museum. At this site, you can actually use art from the museum’s collection to create your own storytelling experience. It’s pretty neat, and very accessible.

The Google Art Project puts some of the most important art museums, and their collections, online with amazing features, including being able to create your own art collection.

Pictify is a new Pinterest-like site, except only for fine works of art.It seems quite easy to use.

The Smithsonian Learning Lab lets you create your own collections from the gazillions of objects in the Smithsonian.

If you found this list helpful, you might want to see the other two-hundred-plus ones, too.

You might also want to consider subscribing to this blog for free.