The Best Sites For Learning About The Statue Of Liberty

'Statue of liberty' photo (c) 2011, Rakkhi Samarasekera - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

The crown of the Statue Of Liberty will reopen on July 4th of this year — the first time since the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The media was given a peek at it this week, and there’s been a fair amount of press coverage about it in the past few days.

I thought it would be a good opportunity to create another quick “The Best…” list.

Certainly, all students should know about the Statue, and particularly English Language Learners because of its significance to immigrants. I personally have fond memories of visiting there and climbing up the stairs when I was growing-up in New York City.

Here are my picks for The Best Sites For Learning About The Statue of Liberty:

The New York Times has a panoramic view from the Crown.

EL Civics has a lesson on the Statue of Liberty specifically geared towards English Language Learners.

Here’s an online video from MSNBC of the announcement that the Crown would open again.

Here’s interactive online science experiment related to the Statue of Liberty.

Renee Maufroid has an interactive exercise on the Statue specifically for ELL’s.

Voices Of Liberty is an interactive with interviews of people saying what it means to them. It, too, is from MSNBC.

Lady Liberty Inside and Out is a slideshow from ABC News.

Scholastic has an Internet Scavenger Hunt on the Statue of Liberty.

Enchanted Learning has a simple sheet of information that can be printed-out. It also has a second part. ESL Printables has one, too.

And, for teachers, here’s an ESL Lesson Plan on the Statue.

The Statue of Liberty At 125 Years is a TIME Magazine slideshow.

Statue of Liberty: Lady Liberty turns 125 is an interactive from The Associated Press.

The Statue of Liberty: 127 Years at America’s Gateway is a photo gallery from The Atlantic.

This next film was made by Thomas Edison:

Feedback is always welcome.

1. Thanks! This is just in time for my upcoming NY trip & my Adult ESL class on traveling in NY.