The Best Sites For Learning About The Statue Of Liberty

'Statue of liberty' photo (c) 2011, Rakkhi Samarasekera - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

The crown of the Statue Of Liberty will reopen on July 4th of this year — the first time since the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The media was given a peek at it this week, and there’s been a fair amount of press coverage about it in the past few days.

I thought it would be a good opportunity to create another quick “The Best…” list.

Certainly, all students should know about the Statue, and particularly English Language Learners because of its significance to immigrants. I personally have fond memories of visiting there and climbing up the stairs when I was growing-up in New York City.

Here are my picks for The Best Sites For Learning About The Statue of Liberty:

The Wall Street Journal ran a slideshow about the press tour of the Statue this week.

The New York Times has a panoramic view from the Crown.

The Sydney Morning Herald has a slideshow of the preparations going on to reopen the Crown.

EL Civics has a lesson on the Statue of Liberty specifically geared towards English Language Learners.

Here’s an online video from MSNBC of the announcement that the Crown would open again.

Here’s a neat interactive tour of the Statue.

Here’s interactive online science experiment related to the Statue of Liberty.

Renee Maufroid has an interactive exercise on the Statue specifically for ELL’s.

Thomas Edison made a short movie of the Statue.

Statue Of Liberty: Then and Now is a slideshow from MSNBC.

Voices Of Liberty is an interactive with interviews of people saying what it means to them. It, too, is from MSNBC.

Here’s a video report from MSNBC on the day the Statue reopened.

Lady Liberty Inside and Out is a slideshow from ABC News.

Scholastic has an Internet Scavenger Hunt on the Statue of Liberty.

Enchanted Learning has a simple sheet of information that can be printed-out. It also has a second part. ESL Printables has one, too.

And, for teachers, here’s an ESL Lesson Plan on the Statue.

Here’s a “>video from The History Channel on the Statue of Liberty.

The Statue of Liberty At 125 Years is a TIME Magazine slideshow.

Statue of Liberty: Lady Liberty turns 125 is an interactive from The Associated Press.

The Statue of Liberty: 127 Years at America’s Gateway is a photo gallery from The Atlantic.

CBS has an interactive on the statue.

Feedback is always welcome.

1. Thanks! This is just in time for my upcoming NY trip & my Adult ESL class on traveling in NY.