'Crescent City Connection' photo (c) 2013, Richard Martin - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Over the past several years, I’ve been involved (off-and-on) with an International Sister Classes Project involving teenage Intermediate ESL/EFL classes around the world. We’ve had a blog where students have online presentations, like Voice Threads, and commented on them back-and-forth. I did a new version with my ELL Geography class.

Also: Links To The Joint Projects My ELL Geography Class Did With Classes Around The World – Want To Join Us This Year?

I thought it might be useful to other examples of joint “sister class” projects, and of places where teachers can connect with other classes.   I just didn’t have it in me to write much of a description about each one, but they’re all worth a visit.

Here are my picks for The Best Ways To Find Other Classes For Joint Online Projects:

Without a doubt, I’d start in two places:

One is by reading Kim Cofino’s blog post A Step-by-Step Guide to Global Collaborations, viewing her slideshare presentation Connecting Across Continents, and reviewing the resources she has posted on her wiki.

The other would be to read Sue Waters’ post Looking For Global Projects For Your Students? Sue highlights a couple of exciting collaborative projects, including Bringing Us Together, a project that she and Sue Wyatt have begun; and Silvia Tolisano‘s Around The World With 80 Schools project.

Here are some others worth checking-out, too:

VoiceThread 4 Education

iLearn says it is “the world’s largest non-profit global network that enables teachers and youth to use the Internet and other technologies to collaborate on projects that enhance learning and make a difference in the world.”

Taking It Global offers connections around the world, plus many more resources.

Global Education Collaborative

Flat Classroom Project

ePals

Global School Net

People to People International’s School and Classroom Program

The U.S. Department of Education also has an extensive list of collaborative projects.

Skype In The Classroom

eLanguages is another organization that helps teachers connect with sister classes around the world for learning projects.

Connect All Schools is a new organization with a zillion education “partners” and describe their purpose this way:

to connect EVERY school in the United States with the world by 2016. Through the Connect All Schools interactive website, schools stories using text, photo and video about how they are currently connecting their students to the rest of the world through such activities as student and teacher exchanges, global issues curricula, video-conferences and “Exchanges 2.0,” the use of new media and communications technologies to expand, extend, and deepen international cross-cultural exchanges.

I tend to be a bit wary about anybody who thinks they’re going to do something with every school in a few years (I get reminded of No Child Left Behind), but it could be a good place for classes to some of their activities to an authentic audience. The site gives the impression it will also help connect schools to other classes around the world, but I couldn’t find any details on that. Assuming they are indeed going to provide that resource, I’ll tentatively add them to this list. Exchange 2.0 – Technology-enabled International Interaction is the title of a new guide they’ve published.

Connecting Classrooms with Skype comes from Peter Pappas’ blog. It offers good advice.

Creative Connections is a site that helps teachers and classes connect to others around the world. Here’s how Wendi Pillars class used it.

Belouga is another site/organization that helps classes connect with others around the world.

Edublogs Teacher Challenge: Connect with other classes

“Out Of Eden Learn” Looks Like An Incredibly Creative & Engaging Resource

“Dreamdo Schools” Is A Platform To Share Project-Based Learning Projects Internationally

What are the Best Ways for a Teacher to Engage their Classroom in a Global Conversation? is from Langwitches.

Skype Connects Classrooms With Field Trips Around the World is from Ed Tech Magazine.

Pen Pals 2.0: Can Technology Foster Global Tolerance? is from Edutopia.

The Wonderment looks like a pretty cool way for classes to connect with others around the world.

The Global Audience Project is another way to connect to a sister class in another part of the world.

“Empatico” Is A New Site For Connecting Online With Other Classes

CONNECT WITH THE WORLD THROUGH SKYPE IN THE CLASSROOM is from The Edublogger.

THE EDUBLOGGER’S GUIDE TO GLOBAL COLLABORATION

Find Some Flipgrid Pals for Your Classroom #GridPals is from Richard Byrne.  Here’s more info: FlipGrid has a feature called FlipGridPals designed to help classes connect with others around the world.  Y0u can read more about it at Richard Byrne’s  newer blog post.

Teachers’ Guide to Global Collaboration is from iEARN.

The Goals Project connects classrooms who are teaching and learning about the United Nations’ Sustainable Development goals.

Digital tools for penpalling in your classroom is from The British Council.

iDialogue is a free virtual classroom that appears to be marketed as an alternative to Zoom.  One feature is that that highlight is connecting teachers and students to classes around the world.

Belouga is an online teaching platform, but I’m having a difficult time understanding exactly what it does, even after reading this review. However, it does appear that one of its features is the ability to connect up with other classes around the world, so I’m adding it here.

GridPals is a feature of the popular online tool Flip that lets teachers connect to their classes to others around the world.

Worldchat Live Education as a Pedagogical Tool to Develop Speaking Skills and Cultural Awareness in Students of English is from FLT Magazine.

As always, feedback is welcome.