The Best Websites For Learning About The Fourth Of July

'Fourth of July, Springfield PA' photo (c) 2012, Jim, the Photographer - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

July 4th is Independence Day in the United States. Most schools aren’t in session during this time, but since I’ll be teaching English Language Learners during summer school, I thought developing a short “The Best…” list would be useful to my students, other teachers, and me.

In addition to the sites on this list, you might also find the Citizenship and Building A New Country sections on my website helpful, as well as The Best Websites For Learning About Civic Participation & Citizenship list.

Here are my choices for The Best Websites For Learning About The Fourth of July (and are accessible to English Language Learners).  They are not listed in any particular order of preference:

Heads Up English has an accessible description of the holiday and provides audio support for the text.

EL Civics has an ESL Fourth Of July Lesson.

The History Channel has a good Fourth of July site.

Topics Online Magazine (for English Language Learners) shares descriptions about how other countries celebrate their own Independence Days. It would be a great resource for students to write a Compare/Contrast essay using a Venn Diagram.

How Stuff Works has two resources that could be modified by teachers to make them accessible to English Language Learners. One is a feature on Independence Day and the other is on How Fireworks Work.

The New York Times has a slideshow showing how people celebrate the Fourth Of July. It has another one highlighting July Fourth “cookouts.”

Fun On The Fourth is a slideshow from The New York Times.

July 4th Celebrations is a slideshow from The Washington Post.

Fireworks Over The Hudson is a panorama by the New York Times.

Independence Day Fireworks is a series of photos from The Sacramento Bee.

Here’s another slideshow of July 4th celebrations.

7 Spectacular Fireworks Shows on YouTube can be used in schools that have YouTube blocked by tools in The Best Ways To Access Educational YouTube Videos At School list.

ABC News has several good videos:

Happy Birthday America

Philly: Where Independence Began

Iraq on July Fourth

Fourth of July Celebrations

CNN has many July 4th-related videos.

Thanks to Michelle Henry’s fabulous website, I’ve learned about three good listening exercises for July 4th:

Kyle: Independence Day

Frank: Independence Day

Cortney: Independence Day

I’m also adding two resources from the Orange County Register:

A graphic titled Staying Safe On July 4th

How Fireworks Get Their Colors

MSNBC has several fireworks related videos.

The Workings of Fireworks is an infographic.

The Big Bang is a similar infographic.

Fourth Of July By The Numbers is another accessible infographic.

Independence Day Around The World is an interactive map.

ESL Holiday Lessons has a lesson on the holiday specifically for English Language Learners.

Independence Day is a slideshow from The Wall Street Journal.

The Fourth On Coney Island is another Wall Street Journal slideshow.

Fourth Of July Celebrations is a slideshow from MSNBC.

America Throws Itself a Birthday Party is an MSNBC video.

CNN has several videos:

President Obama Speaks About The Fourth Of July

Fireworks Light Up The Capitol

Fireworks Over The Big Apple

Fourth of July Fireworks is a New York Times slideshow.

Fourth of July Fireworks is a series of photos from The Sacramento Bee.

July 4th In Numbers is an extraordinary infographic.

Martin Luther King gave a sermon on July 4, 1965 at Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, Georgia. His topic was “The American Dream.”

You can read his entire sermon at the Martin Luther King Papers at Stanford. In fact, you can hear it, as well, though his spoken sermon is somewhat different than the written transcript.

Here is a lengthy excerpt, though I’d encourage you to read or listen to it in its entirety:

This is why we must join the war against poverty (Yes, sir) and believe in the dignity of all work. What makes a job menial? I’m tired of this stuff about menial labor. What makes it menial is that we don’t pay folk anything. (Yes, sir) Give somebody a job and pay them some money so they can live and educate their children and buy a home and have the basic necessities of life. And no matter what the job is it takes on dignity.

I submit to you when I took off on that plane this morning, I saw men go out there in their overalls. (Yes, sir, Every time) I saw them working on things here and there, and saw some more going out there to put the breakfast on there so that we could eat on our way to Atlanta. (Make it plain) And I said to myself that these people who constitute the ground crew are just as significant as the pilot, because this plane couldn’t move if you didn’t have the ground crew. (Amen) I submit to you that in Hugh Spaulding or Grady Hospital, (Preach it) the woman or the man who goes in there to sweep the floor is just as significant as the doctor, (Yes) because if he doesn’t get that dust off the floor germs will begin to circulate. And those same germs can do injury and harm to the human being. I submit to you this morning (Yes) that there is dignity in all work (Have mercy) when we learn to pay people decent wages. Whoever cooks in your house, whoever sweeps the floor in your house is just as significant as anybody who lives in that house. (Amen) And everybody that we call a maid is serving God in a significant way. (Preach it) And I love the maids, I love the people who have been ignored, and I want to see them get the kind of wages that they need. And their job is no longer a menial job, (No, sir) for you come to see its worth and its dignity.

Are we really taking this thing seriously? “All men are created equal.” (Amen) And that means that every man who lives in a slum today (Preach it) is just as significant as John D., Nelson, or any other Rockefeller. Every man who lives in the slum is just as significant as Henry Ford. All men are created equal, and they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, rights that can’t be separated from you. [clap] Go down and tell them, (No) “You may take my life, but you can’t take my right to life. You may take liberty from me, but you can’t take my right to liberty. You may take from me the desire, you may take from me the propensity to pursue happiness, but you can’t take from me my right to pursue happiness.” (Yes) “We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal and endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable Rights and among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.” (Yes, sir)

Now there’s another thing that we must never forget. If we are going to make the American dream a reality, (Yes) we are challenged to work in an action program to get rid of the last vestiges of segregation and discrimination. This problem isn’t going to solve itself, however much [word inaudible] people tell us this. However much the Uncle Toms and Nervous Nellies in the Negro communities tell us this, this problem isn’t just going to work itself out. (No, sir) History is the long story of the fact (Yes) that privileged groups seldom give up their privileges without strong resistance, and they seldom do it voluntarily. And so if the American dream is to be a reality, we must work to make it a reality and realize the urgency of the moment.

Frederick Douglass also gave a famous speech on a July 4th, titled “What Is The Slave To The 4th of July?”

FIREWORKS: See what makes fireworks function and learn about their fascinating history is an interactive from The Sentinel, a Florida newspaper.

Happy Birthday, America! is an interactive exercise.

What do you get when you strap a tiny video recorder to firecrackers?

This video:

3-2-1 Kapow! is a Newsweek slideshow explaining how fireworks work.

Top 5 myths about July 4 is from The Washington Post.

Fourth facts: Flags, fireworks, food is a CNN slideshow.

Small-Town Traditions, Night-Sky Explosions is a New York Times slideshow.

Independence Day Celebrations is a Wall Street Journal slideshow.

Fourth of July fireworks is a slideshow from The Los Angeles Times.

U.S. Independence Day 2011 is a series of photos from The Sacramento Bee.

Independence Day Around the World
is a very cool interactive map.

Here’s an informative July 4th infographic:

Source: visual.ly via Larry on Pinterest

Rethinking The Fourth Of July is from the Zinn Education Project.

You might also be interested in The Best Sites For Learning About Flag Day.

Celebrating Many Years of Fireworks and Parades is a photo gallery from The New York Times.

CNN has a video on The First Family Celebrating The 4th:

ABC News has a Fourth of July Facts infographic.

Source: shareasimage.com via Larry on Pinterest

The above quote is from a speech President Obama gave at a July 4th Naturalization Ceremony. You can read the speech transcript here and I’ve embedded the video below. You can also read about it at this New York Times article, Obama Marks Fourth of July With New Citizens.

Americans Celebrate the Fourth of July is a Wall Street Journal slideshow.

MSNBC has a similar slideshow.

All Over, Celebrating the Fourth is a New York Times slideshow.

10 Things You Didn’t Know About the Fourth of July is a TIME slideshow.

Rethinking the 4th of July is by Bill Bigelow at The Zinn Education Project.

I already have a link on the list to Frederick Douglass’ famous speech on July Fourth, but here’s a video of Danny Glover reading it:

Little Known Facts About July 4th is a NY Times video:

Source: pewstates.org

Source: history.com

Owly Images

When countries earned their independence, and celebrate it is a chart from The Economist.

The Fourth of July—in 9 Graphs
is from The Atlantic.

Fireworks, parades and family fun: Glorious photographs of how Americans marked Independence Day over the last two centuries
is from The Mail Online.

Fifty For the Fourth: Our Patriotic Playlist is from TIME.

‘Impudent Huzzy!’: How to Speak Like a Founding Father
is also from TIME.

Happy Fourth of July is a Wall Street Journal slideshow.

I’d certainly be interested in hearing other suggestions, so please feel free to leave them in the comments section.

1. The heads up english blurb on Independence day did not seem that “accessible” to English Language Learners. Maybe advanced. I had to adapt it for my Int/Adv class.

2. Pingback: The Fourth of July and Independence Day in Esl | Chestnut ESL HOME

3. Thanks for the list Larry. I love your “Best Lists” Keep up the good work!!