This is not good news to those of us using Flip Video Cameras with our students — Cisco has just announced they’re shutting the business down. Read about it at Farewell, Flip Camera over at Read Write Web and at Tech Crunch’s post, Cisco To Shut Down Flip Video Camera Business; Will Give Pink Slips To 550 Employees.

Cisco says “… it will support current FlipShare customers and partners during a transition plan” — whatever that means.

Smartphones that can take video have killed Flip, but that really isn’t going to help many of us who have students who still can’t afford Smartphones….

You might want to check-out “Could This Be The Best Alternative To Flip Video Cameras?”

I should be getting several Flip video cameras in time to try them out with my summer school class of Beginning English Language Learners. In preparation, I went looking for some resources that might help me get prepared for using them.

The first section deals with the mechanics of using them, while the second relates to ideas on how to use them in the classroom.

Here are my picks for The Best Sources For Advice On Using Flip Video Cameras:

Since I’m fairly incompetent technologically, I found some good sites that provide step-by-step instructions:

There’s a good video on YouTube on How To Use A Flip Video Camera.

How To Us A Flip Camera is a simple guide with screenshots.

David Pogue of the New York Times has a good review/description on using a Flip, and also has a video.

Here are some tips on how to edit your videos after you’ve shot them.

Here are some places to get ideas and tips on using them with students:

Thirty-Nine Interesting Ways* to use your Pocket Video Camera in the Classroom
is a great online presentation from Tom Barrett.

7 Things You Should Know About Flip Camcorders is a good overview on using them in education.

Classroom 2.0 has a good discussion on its Forum about using Flips. I believe you can access it without being a member but, if not, it’s free and easy to join.

Richard Byrne has started a collaborative project with teachers sharing Many Ways to Use Flip Video Cameras in the Classroom.

A few Tips & Tricks for Student filming in the Classroom is another great post over at the Langwitches blog.

Feel free to share additional suggestions.

If you found this post useful, you might want to look at previous “The Best…” lists and also consider subscribing to this blog for free.