One of the units we teach in our Intermediate English classes is on persuasive writing.  We do a brief study of advertising as part of it, and I thought a “The Best…” list on ads might be useful.

I found surprising few online resources on advertising techniques that were accessible to English Language Learners (though there are quite a few more on the bigger issue of online safety, and I’ll be creating another “The Best…” list on that topic).

I’m hopeful that readers might point me in the direction of other student resources.

I’ve also included teacher resources on advertising that contain good classroom lessons that would have to modified for English Language Learners.

Here are my picks for The Best Sites To Learn About Advertising (and are accessible to English Language Learners):

AdText – An Interdisciplinary Curriculum for Advertising in Society, Culture and History is an absolutely incredible treasure trove of information and lessons.  Thanks to Jim Burke for the tip.

I’ve posted before about lessons I’ve used with students focusing on Burger King’s insulting “Whopper Virgins” commercials.

Web English Teacher has good Media and Advertising resources.

On the Market: Thinking Critically About Advertising is from The New York Times Learning Network.

Fast Food FACTS is from Yale.

Help Students Analyze the Impact of Political Ads is from Frank Baker.

Suggestions and feedback are always welcome.