The Best Sites To Learn About Advertising

One of the units we teach in our Intermediate English classes is on persuasive writing.  We do a brief study of advertising as part of it, and I thought a “The Best…” list on ads might be useful.

I found surprising few online resources on advertising techniques that were accessible to English Language Learners (though there are quite a few more on the bigger issue of online safety, and I’ll be creating another “The Best…” list on that topic).

I’m hopeful that readers might point me in the direction of other student resources.

I’ve also included teacher resources on advertising that contain good classroom lessons that would have to modified for English Language Learners.

Here are my picks for The Best Sites To Learn About Advertising (and are accessible to English Language Learners):

Student Resources:

CoCo Adversmarts is a nice interactive (that provides audio support for the text) and has students learn about food marketing by creating their own online ad. It’s from the Media Awareness Network.

Don’t Buy It! is from PBS, and has several very accessible interactives.

See How You Get Hooked Into Buying Now! is an accessible student-created website.

You Are Here is a very impressive interactive site developed by the Federal Trade Commission. It’s designed specifically to help young people develop a more sophisticated understanding of advertising.

Ad Decoder lets students see ads in a virtual magazine and points out the misleading techniques used in them.

Admongo is a brand new online game begun from the U.S. government to help students understand the hidden messages of advertising.

According to The New York Times, the game:

seeks to educate children in grades four through six — tweens, in the parlance of marketing — about how advertising works so they can make better, more informed choices when they shop or when they ask parents to shop on their behalf.

BAM! is from The Centers For Disease Control.

Teacher Resources:

AdText – An Interdisciplinary Curriculum for Advertising in Society, Culture and History is an absolutely incredible treasure trove of information and lessons.  Thanks to Jim Burke for the tip.

I’ve posted before about lessons I’ve used with students focusing on Burger King’s insulting “Whopper Virgins” commercials.

Textbook publisher McDougal Littell has a nice let of Understanding The Media links.

Web English Teacher has good Media and Advertising resources.

English Online has a great lesson plan and resources.

Persuasive Techniques in Advertising is the title of a good resource from Read Write Think.

On the Market: Thinking Critically About Advertising is from The New York Times Learning Network.

Analyzing Persuasive Techniques in Advertising is from Class Zone.

Recognizing Types of Propaganda in Advertising is from The High School Journalism Initiative.

You’ve Gotta Have a Gimmick!: A Lesson in Junk Food Advertising is from The Media Awareness Network.

Persuasive Techniques In Advertising And Make Your Own Advertisement is from The Oregon Department of Education.

Are Fast-Food Advertisers Playing You? is from WebMD.

Fast Food FACTS is from Yale.

Suggestions and feedback are always welcome.