The Best Sites For Learning Online Safety

One of the first “The Best…” lists I created was The Best Eleven Websites For Students To Learn About Computers.  I included two-or-three sites about online safety that were accessible to English Language Learners on that list.  Since that time, though, quite a few additional resources have become available, so I thought it was time to make a list entirely devoted to that topic.

You can also find these links, along with many others, on my website under Computers.

You might also be interested in The Best Teacher Resources For Online Student Safety & Legal Issues, which is specifically focused on issues around students creating online content.

You might also be interested in The Best Advice On Protecting Our Digital Info.

Unfortunately, most of the sites on this list — except for the first one — might be considered a bit too “childish” by teenage and adult English Language Learners.  I didn’t include others that might be more mature because they had people speaking too fast or didn’t offer audio support for complex text.

Here are my choices for The Best Sites For Learning Online Safety (and are accessible to English Language Learners):

Think U Know has a good animated and audio Cyber Cafe that older ELL’s would like.

Brainpop has a free movie on Internet Safety. Brainpop also has a Digital Citizenship page that periodically has other related movies available at no cost.

Safe Kids has a decent online safety quiz.

The Council of Europe designed an online game “Through the Wild Web Woods” to help children learn basic Internet safety rules. It’s available in 14 different languages.

An infographic showing the Top 20 passwords of all-time might provide some useful information to teachers and to students.

A complete guide to web, Facebook, Twitter, and Google Plus privacy and security! is a must-read article by Ronnie Burt from Edublogs.

The 30 Most Popular Passwords Stolen From LinkedIn [INFOGRAPHIC] is from Mashable.

How Secure Is My Password? evaluates how long it would take a hacker to figure out…your password. Thanks to Richard Byrne for the tip.

Google Unveils New Online Safety Game & Curriculum

As always, suggestions and feedback are welcome.

1. http://www.stopcyberbullying.org/index2.html
    Not sure if cyberbullying fits this category, but I find this site helpful because it is organized by age.

2. Hi Larry
    Northwest Grid is part of the National Education Network.
    http://www.nen.gov.uk – follow the esafety link to see more of the work we’ve undertaken. You may find the audit tool and ‘esafely’ vid particularly useful

🙂

3. I love you site and visit daily. I will check the Internet Safety links out. I have a pretty good list going at http://www.belmar.k12.nj.us/Default.asp?Section_ID=204

4. I have found NetSmartz to have great resources for multiple grade levels as well as parent presentations. WiredSafety also has good information and activites to use in the classroom. Between the two sites, I have taught a 3-4 week class on internet safety.

5. Pingback: Week 2: Set Up Your Blogging Rules and Guidelines | The Edublogger

6. I think its good that sombody is taking the initiative to tell people about these things

7. Pingback: Class Blog Activity 3 – Must Haves For Your Blog : Teacher Challenge

8. Pingback: 테스트 2 | 아이와 부모를 위한 디지털 리터러시

9. Pingback: Set up About, Rules & Guidelines and a contact page « Help@ShikshaBlog