The Best Resources For Learning About The Atomic Bombings Of Japan

'Last Building Standing After the Hiroshima Japan Atomic Bomb' photo (c) 2010, Jordan Emery - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Tomorrow is the anniversay of the atomic dropping of Hiroshima.  I thought a “The Best…” list of related resources that are accessible to English Language Learners might be useful.

Here are my choices for The Best Resources For Learning About The Atomic Bombings Of Japan:

The Big Picture has series of photos titled Hiroshima, 64 years ago.

Hiroshima’s 64th Anniversary is the subject of a series of photos from The Sacramento Bee.

Voice of America Special English has a report titled Lessons Learned From the Atomic Bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Audio support is provided for the text.

MSNBC has an online video about the aftermath of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings.

You can read Moment of silence as Hiroshima recalls bomb, which is a report about a commemoration ceremony.

MSNBC also has a slideshow titled Atomic Attacks.

Here’s an article on House Of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s visit to Hiroshima.

The New York Times has a Hiroshima slideshow.

The History Channel has a number of short videos on the atomic bombings.

How Stuff Works also has a number of related short videos.

Breaking News English has online materials that provide audio support for the text on the Hiroshima bombing.

ESL Holiday Lessons has a number of good printables on Hiroshima Peace Day.

CBBC Newsround, as always, has a very accessible overview of what happened, including photos.

Scholastic has an interactive called Hiroshima: A Survivor’s Story.

TIME Magazine has a short report that is not accessible to ELL’s, but teachers might want to modify it. It’s called HISTORICAL NOTES: Was Hiroshima Necessary?

Remembering Hiroshima is a Wall Street Journal slideshow.

Hiroshima marks 65th anniversary of atomic bomb attack is a BBC slideshow.

Hiroshima ceremony marks 65th anniversary of world’s first atomic bomb attack is a slideshow from The Washington Post.

The dropping of the Atomic Bomb, 65 years later is a series of photos from The Denver Post.

I was surprised that I couldn’t really find particularly good lesson plans online about the atomic bombings. This was the best I could find, and would need to be modified for ELL’s. It’s called The Ethics of the Bomb:What Would You Do? I’m hoping readers can point me in the direction of others.

The U.S. Government recently declassified photos taken after the atomic bombing of Hiroshima. Both The New York Times and TIME Magazine have created slideshows from some of the images.

Here are links to Amazing Panoramic Photos Of Hiroshima After The Atomic Bomb Blast.

Here’s a Telegraph slideshow titled Japan marks the 66th anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima.

Japan marks 68 years since Hiroshima is a slideshow from CBS News.

As always, suggestions and feedback are welcome.