'Copyright Symbols' photo (c) 2008, Mike Seyfang - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty confused about copyright issues, and what students can and cannot legally do with images, videos, music, and audio in their online projects.

So I sent out a “tweet” on Twitter asking for what people thought were the most simple and accessible resources out there for teachers to learn more about this issue, and within thirty minutes received a wealth of links. I decided it was worth creating an other “The Best…” list.

I’ve divided this list into ones for teachers and ones for students. However, I gotta’ say that I personally gained a clearer understanding of copyright issues from some of the student links.

You might also be interested in:

The Best Places To Get Royalty-Free Music & Sound Effects

The Best Online Sources For Images

Here are my Personal Learning Network’s choices for The Best Resources To Learn About Copyright Issues (though I have ranked them all by preference, I have listed my favorite at the top of each category):

FOR TEACHERS:

Copyright With Cyberbee (thanks to Melissa Techman and Craig Roland)

An entertaining and informative video on copyright (thanks to Tami Thompson)

Teaching Copyright is a curriculum from The Electronic Frontier Foundation (thanks to Weemooseus)

Chilling Effects (thanks to Melissa Techman)

Get Creative (thanks to Kern Kelley)

The Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Media Literacy Education (thanks to Paul Allison)

Creative Commons: What Every Educator Needs to Know is the title of a great post at Langwitches. It contains several excellent resources.

The Educator’s Guide to Copyright, Fair Use, and Creative Commons is a must-read post by Ronnie Burt over at The Edublogger.

Long-Awaited Ruling in Copyright Case Mostly Favors Georgia State U. is pretty interesting.

The Copyright Genie is pretty cool.

Using Digital Images: An Educators Guide is a useful post.

Images, copyright, and Creative Commons is from Edublogs.

WE SHOULD CHOOSE TO TEACH COPYRIGHT … is from Gail Desler

An Extensive Guide to Copyright and Fair Use is from Richard Byrne.

Three Lessons to Learn from the $9.2M Copyright Ruling Against Houston ISD is from Richard Byrne.

The Educator’s Guide to Copyright, Fair Use, and Creative Commons is from The Edublogger and has just been updated.

A Teacher’s Guide to Copyright and Fair Use is from Edutopia.

Demystifying copyright for teachers and students is from MindShift.

FOR STUDENTS:

Copyright Kids (thanks to Melissa Techman, Craig Roland, and Mary Beth Hertz)

Taking The Mystery Out Of Copyright was suggested by kimwren1.

How to Identify Mysterious Images Online is from MindShift.

So… You Want (Have) To Create Something? is from Langwitches.

So…You Want to Declare Fair Use is also from Langwitches.

Copyright Flowchart: Can I Use It? Yes? No? If This… Then… comes from Langwitches.

Copyright a Little Fuzzy? is a great infographic from Langwitches.

Share This Letter With Students to Show Them the Cost of Copyright Infringement is from Richard Byrne.

Guidelines On Using Copyrighted Materials for Teaching is from The Write Center.

What You Need to Know About Copyright is from TechNotes.

Thanks to everybody who sent-in links!

Feel free to contribute additional suggestions.