The Best Resources To Learn About Copyright Issues

'Copyright Symbols' photo (c) 2008, Mike Seyfang - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty confused about copyright issues, and what students can and cannot legally do with images, videos, music, and audio in their online projects.

So I sent out a “tweet” on Twitter asking for what people thought were the most simple and accessible resources out there for teachers to learn more about this issue, and within thirty minutes received a wealth of links. I decided it was worth creating an other “The Best…” list.

I’ve divided this list into ones for teachers and ones for students. However, I gotta’ say that I personally gained a clearer understanding of copyright issues from some of the student links.

You might also be interested in:

The Best Places To Get Royalty-Free Music & Sound Effects

The Best Online Sources For Images

Here are my Personal Learning Network’s choices for The Best Resources To Learn About Copyright Issues (though I have ranked them all by preference, I have listed my favorite at the top of each category):

FOR TEACHERS:

Stacy Bodin has created an exhaustive collection of great links on the issue — both for teachers and for students.

The Copyright Site and Copyright With Cyberbee (thanks to Melissa Techman and Craig Roland)

A video of Doug Johnson’s workshop on the topic ((thanks to Melissa Techman)

An entertaining and informative video on copyright (thanks to Tami Thompson)

Teaching Copyright is a curriculum from The Electronic Frontier Foundation (thanks to Weemooseus)

Chilling Effects (thanks to Melissa Techman)

Get Creative (thanks to Kern Kelley)

Here’s a six minute animation titled Intellectual Property Rights in the Web 2.0 world (thanks to Izad Majid)

Melissa Techman puts this above every copier in her building.

The Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Media Literacy Education (thanks to Paul Allison)

This is a Crash Course In Copyright (thanks to Ethan Crawford)

Maryna Badenhorst has a lot of info on copyright (look under “Permission Documents”) Also, while you’re there, take the time to look throughout her extensive site!

K Ditzler’s Wiki page on Copyright Information was suggested by Stacy Aune. That’s another place worth exploring…

Stacy also suggested a site titled Taking the Mystery Out of copyright and fair use guidelines (not to be confused with a similar sounding site for students) and a resource from Temple University.

Fair Use Guidelines For Educational Multimedia was recommended by Anne-Marie Gordon.

Copyright 101 for Educators (thanks to Peter Vogel)

Copyright And Fair Use: Guidelines For Teachers is a very simple, and very good, one page PDF document.

The Classroom Copyright Chart shares copyright and fair use guidelines for teachers.

Creative Commons: What Every Educator Needs to Know is the title of a great post at Langwitches. It contains several excellent resources.

The American Library Association has some excellent interactive copyright tools. Thanks to BJ Berquist for the tip.

The Educator’s Guide to Copyright, Fair Use, and Creative Commons is a must-read post by Ronnie Burt over at The Edublogger.

Long-Awaited Ruling in Copyright Case Mostly Favors Georgia State U. is pretty interesting.

The Copyright Genie is pretty cool.

Using Digital Images: An Educators Guide is a useful post.

Images, copyright, and Creative Commons is from Edublogs.

FOR STUDENTS:

Stacy Bodin’s site, as I mentioned, has an exhaustive collection of great links on the issue — for students, too.

Copyright Kids (thanks to Melissa Techman, Craig Roland, and Mary Beth Hertz)

Taking The Mystery Out Of Copyright was suggested by kimwren1.

How to Identify Mysterious Images Online is from MindShift.

So… You Want (Have) To Create Something? is from Langwitches.

So…You Want to Declare Fair Use is also from Langwitches.

Copyright Infringement: 5 Myths vs Facts

by floydworx.
Explore more infographics like this one on the web’s largest information design community – Visually.

Copyright Flowchart: Can I Use It? Yes? No? If This… Then… comes from Langwitches.

Thanks to everybody who sent-in links!

Feel free to contribute additional suggestions.

1. Great list. Thank you.

Just wanted to point out there’s a portal for copyright and fair use information – Stanford Copyright and Fair Use site (http://fairuse.stanford.edu/). Disclaimer: I intern for one of the site sponsors.

2. Maybe I missed it but here are my fav. things for teachers.

Of course the wonderful (and recent winner of a great award for his website conx.org) Richard Baraniuk. His voice quivers with intelligence and find him on TED Talks along with Larry Lessig who gives the perfect presentation and arguement for a world of FREE intellectual development. If you also do public speaking classes – his is an example of a near perfect delivery of content and emotion…..

I really am a big big big fan of Richard Stallman. He’s a hero of mine, very little recognized but he gets it – how we need open source and participatory culture in our online world. (he created the GNU O/S ). You can find his videos and talks about copyright online. Very thorough, intelligent and from experience and his heart….

I think all children should know how “jailed” Mickey Mouse is!

David
    http://eflclassroom.com

3. Pingback: School 2.0 Bookmarks (weekly) | School 2.0 in SA

4. Pingback: Infolink Bookmarks (weekly) « School libraries in South Africa

5. Pingback: The Educator’s Guide to Copyright, Fair Use, and Creative Commons | The Edublogger

6. Pingback: The Educator’s Guide to Copyright, Fair Use, and Creative Commons | The Edublogger | TechRetriever