My U.S. History Curriculum Online

(This is a repeat of a blog post that appeared earlier in the summer.  I just thought that with the school year rapidly approaching — and, for some, already here — it might be worth posting again)

As regular readers know, this past school year I taught two U.S. History classes to English Language Learners — one in a regular classroom and the other in the computer lab. You can read more about the results of this research experiment at Results From My Year-Long U.S. History Tech Experiment.

I used a blog during the computer lab class. You can access the United States History Class blog and see an entire year’s of lessons designed for student self-access. You can also see links to the students blogs used during the course. The lessons include quite a bit of original material I developed for use in both of the classes, and they are available for download (during the year students would open up the documents and cut-and-paste the exercises into their own blogs).

You’re obviously welcome to use the resources there with your students. I just ask that you not publish or reprint any of my original materials for use other than by your students.

1. If you are looking for other interesting and approachable sites on US history – either for your own research or as a teaching aid, I would definitely recommend Shmoop. It’s a comprehensive site on all eras of US history and is full of facts, figures, trivia and in-depth references. For students, there are invaluable tips on how to approach various topics and a handy guide to writing essays and papers as well. Check it out for yourself.

2. It’s an informative post but here you need to describe more.