The Best Online Carbon Calculators

Online carbon calculators help users determine the amount of carbon emissions they (or their household) is responsible for introducing into the environment. This kind of interactive exercise can be a good language-development opportunity, as well as one for expanding content knowledge in either science or social studies.

There are quite a few of them out there, and I’ve included some on my previous The Best Sites To Introduce Environmental Issues Into The Classroom.

With the increase in their availability, I thought I would create a quick “The Best…” list sharing links to ones I think are the best and most accessible to English Language Learners.

I’m not going to describe each one because all the calculators on this list are fairly similar. However, I will differentiate between the first two, which are probably accessible to Beginning or Early Intermediate English Language Learners, and the last five, which are best for Intermediate and Advanced ELL’s. The primary difference between the two groups are the number of questions and amount/complexity of the text. Also, most of the ones in the second group provide more precise figures since they incorporate data from the area where you live, too.

Here are my picks for The Best Online Carbon Calculators:

FOR BEGINNING & EARLY INTERMEDIATE ELL’S:

Zero Footprint Kids Calculator

Planet Positive Calculator

FOR INTERMEDIATE & ADVANCED ELL’S

The Nature Conservancy: What’s My Carbon Footprint?

Personal Footprint Calculator

Ecological Footprint Quiz

Big Foot Challenge

You can find links to these and other calculators on the Science page of my website.

Also, there’s a somewhat related simple Water Footprint Calculator that might be worth trying-out.

The Bonneville Environmental Foundation has very engaging carbon and water calculators to determine your environmental impact. In addition, their suggestions for how to reduce them are equally well-done.

You can see a list of the 25 “Least Wasteful” cities in the United States.

A Simple Switch seems to be a good personal carbon calculator.

Feel free to offer additional suggestions.

If you found this post useful, you might want to check out my other “The Best…” lists.

In addition, you can also subscribe to this blog for free.

1. Hi Larry
    another useful posting – thanks again. I just used this site with my pupils and it worked fine ( quite good ideas for reducing footprints and the questions weren’t too difficult ) .
    It is a UK site – so maybe some of the language is different ?
    http://actonco2.direct.gov.uk/index.html
    bye for now
    Helen

2. Pingback: HD_Links: Earth Day | Networked Teaching & Learning

3. Pingback: Ideas for E.L.L.'s | Earth Day and the Environment - NYTimes.com

4. A lot of online carbon calculators are unfortunately not very good. I have published a peer-reviewed article in the International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control evaluating the 15 most popular calculators on the internet (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1750583613002168). My analysis documents significant shortcomings of many of the calculators. To remedy this situation, CarbonStory was created as a free calculator meeting all 13 evidence-based principles identified in the research (https://www.carbonstory.org/).