Blog Carnivals are compilations of posts from various blogs that share a common theme.  They’re often excellent ways to discover new blogs that you might be interested in, and are good ways for bloggers to get exposure to a new audience. Often they have rotating hosts.

There are tons of them out there…of various quality.

Most use a site called Blog Carnival to coordinate submissions. It’s free and easy to set-up and contribute, and you can create a simple submission form for contributors to use if you want to start your own.

I thought I’d share a few of my favorite ones, and also point people in the direction of checking out many others. I’ve put “Best” in quotation marks because I’m sure there are many other good ones out there that I don’t read.

Here is my short list of The “Best” Blog Carnivals:

I’m a little biased, but I certainly like the ESL/EFL/ELL Blog Carnival. You can see the latest edition at Alice Mercer’s blog, and contribute to the next one by using this easy submission form.

The weekly Carnival of Education has been publishing for several years, and has been organized by The Education Wonks blog. You can see a recent edition (the 225th!) here. (unfortunately, they’ve recently stopped publishing)

It isn’t a “blog carnival” in the strictest sense, but Kevin Hodgson organizes the weekly Day/Week In A Sentence. It’s a great reflective activity where educators share a weekly reflection in one sentence. Kevin often “mixes it up” with having people leave their sentence in an audio version, or a comic strip, etc. People also take turns hosting it.

I also particularly like Mathew Needleman’s Video In The Classroom Carnivals.

The History Carnival is another one that’s been going on for awhile, and features blog posts about…history.

You can also go to the Blog Carnival — Carnival List Education Category and see quite a few other carnivals.

They also have a list for a History category and a Science one that teachers might find of interest.

Feel free to share your own favorites in the comments section…

If you found this post useful, you might want to look at previous “The Best…” lists and also consider subscribing to this blog for free.