The Best Resources For Learning Research & Citation Skills

This “The Best…” list is sort of a combination of two lists I had been thinking of making to go along with The Best Online Resources To Teach About Plagiarism (Another list to keep in mind might be The Best Reference Websites For English Language Learners — 2008).

The more I thought about it, though, the more I felt that a list of engaging (and even fun) sites to teach research skills and accessible citation resources would make a good combination.

Since a graduation requirement in our district is that seniors need to develop a “Senior Project,” I’ve spent some time finding these kinds of helpful sites that might be accessible to English Language Learners.  I have to say, though, that these sites (except for the first one) would probably only be accessible to more advanced ELL’s.

Here are my choices for The Best Resources For Learning Research And Citation Skills:

LEARNING RESEARCH SKILLS:

Here’s the one resource that’s probably accessible to Intermediate English Language Learners. It’s called How To Do Research, and its from the Kentucky Virtual Library. It’s designed to look like an interactive board game.

The Information Literacy Game comes from the University of North Carolina. It’s an online game designed to help students develop research and citation skills.

Research 101 comes from Lycoming College. It was created to teach students how to navigate successfully around library resources. They also have a Choose Your Own Library Adventure Game.

Students learn some Internet research skills through playing The Gold Rush Game. The group that created this game, 21st Century Information Fluency, has also developed quite a few other interactives designed to help students learn about using the Web for research. All of these are accessible to Intermediate ELL’s.

The St. Joseph School Library has a large number of surprising accessible games related to research.  This site might be accessible to high Intermediate English Language Learners.

Boolify is a search engine designed for elementary and middle school students that is accessible to English Language Learners. I think there are others that are more accessible, but this is a good one to help teach basic search strategies.  It’s on  The Best Search Engines For ESL/EFL Learners — 2008 list.

The City University of New York has an excellent series of exercises on actually writing a research paper.

The Rutgers Research Information Online Tutorial is an excellent interactive tool to help students learn research schools. Closed-captioning is also provided, which helps English Language Learners. It’s still a bit advanced, but is worth a look.

“Searching With Success” is an engaging tutorial on searching the web. It’s from Acadia University, and is accessible to high Intermediate English Language Learners.

Acadia also has a tutorial called Credible Sources Count. It’s probably only accessible to advanced ELL’s.

CITATIONS:

Eastern Washington University has a good tutorial on Citing Your Sources.

Here are several sites that will correctly format citations once you input the necessary information:

Ottobib
Citation Machine
Bibme
EasyBib
OSLIS Citation Maker
Knight Cite

Cite This For Me
is a new web app that helps you create reference citations in the “Harvard Referencing Style.”

My colleague Kara Synhorst found this video on “Why We Cite.” I’m adding it to The Best Resources For Learning Research & Citation Skills. You can find the Why We Cite video on YouTube here (embedding is disabled) and another subtitled version here.

Suggestions are always welcome.

1. i’m so excited about this post, larry! i’m a teacher/librarian, and you’ve found stuff that i’ve yet to stumble upon, as usual! =)

however at least 3 of the links are dead. =(

and there’s quite a few more citation-generating websites you might want to add to your list, starting with noodlebib (from library legend debbie abilock) and the build a bibliography service free from worldcat.org. =)

thanks for all you do, larry. =)

2. Great list! Thanks.
    To go along with its page on Plagiarism there is a short page on Citation on EnglishClub here. : http://www.englishclub.com/writing/plagiarism-citation.htm
    Some of the others you’ve mentioned have quizzes, and I think EC (which often pairs quizzes with these types of pages) will add one in the future. It’s great for teachers to have so many options. You are truly a time saver!

3. Excelente material!!Gracias por compartirlo.
    Saludos Cordiales.

4. Don’t forget about Endnote (software and online editions (http://www.endnote.com/), Mendeley (http://www.mendeley.com/), and citeulike (http://www.citeulike.org/)

5. Pingback: How do I … cite sources correctly? | Tools 4 Tassie Teachers

6. Pingback: Citing Sources | Theory Of Knowledge