The Best Online Resources For Drivers Education & Car Information

'click.  learn. drive?' photo (c) 2006, coreythrace - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Learning how to drive, and car information in general, is clearly a high-interest topic among many of my students. So, in keeping with my philosophy that the best way to teach English is to find something students are interested in, and then they have to use English to access it, I’ve developed a “The Best…” list on the topic.

I’ve tried to stay away from the many teen-driving sites that are just packed with advertisements.

Here are my choices for The Best Online Resources For Drivers Education & Car Information (that are accessible to English Language Learners). These are not in any order of preference:

The Language Guide “talking” dictionary of car-related vocabulary
is a good place to start for Beginning English Language Learners.

The California Department of Motor Vehicles
has a great Flash-based test students can take to prepare for their drivers test.

Here’s a less attractive, but still useful, sample online drivers test from the State of Virginia.

The State of New York has short explanations of driving rules followed by online quizzes.

Driving Skills For Life from Ford has a ton of excellent online drivers education activities.

Ello has a listening game for English Language Learners related to car trouble and another one on traffic signs.

Here are a series of flash cards designed to teach about traffic signs.

Here are two other drivers education games — one related to the California test and the other to traffic signs.

The Los Angeles Times has an interactive graphic on how cameras at traffic lights work — a valuable safety lesson that can also save students a hefty fine. Here are more accessible resources about these red light cameras from the California Distance Learning Project (CDLP).  And here’s one more interactive about them.

The CDLP also has activities for English Language Learners on cellphone safety, polluting cars, and carjackings.

Here are another two activities for learning about road signs.

Impact Teen Drivers has a number of interactive resources on its site that are accessible to Intermediate English Language Learners.

Ride Like a Friend also has a rule-setting feature that teenagers can use to reflect on how they want their passengers to behave, and another survey on annoying car habits students can complete.

Here’s a listening exercise about buying a car.

What’s My Score has a good guide to Buying A Car.

The California Department of Motor Vehicles has its own YouTube channel that has numerous accessible videos, including a series on the “Top Ten Reasons For Failing The Driving Test.” In order to make it usable in most schools, of course, you’d have to upload them to a site like Edublogs TV.

The New York Times has an online game designed to reinforce why it’s not good to text while you’re driving.

Joe McVeigh left a comment with an excellent resource of podcasts relating to driving that are specifically designed for English Language Learners. Check-out ESL Pod.

How To Teach Your Teen To Drive is a useful infographic.

“Toyota Teen Driver” is a feature from Discovery Education that includes an engaging interactive and a number of other accessible resources related to…teen driving.

The All State Great Race, an online driver education game.

Driving Tests has online practice tests for learning permits from many states.

Expert Driving Techniques is a useful infographic.

Liberty Mutual has a number of interactives related to teen driving.

Facts About Distracted Driving
Explore more infographics like this one on the web’s largest information design community – Visually.

Seat Belts Save Lives

The Text of Death
Explore more visuals like this one on the web’s largest information design community – Visually.

Tips to Prevent a Car Accident

Keep Your Eyes On The Road

I’d certainly be interested in hearing other suggestions, so please feel free to leave them in the comments section.

1. The folks at ESLPodcast have a number of podcasts in simple English relating to driving and drivers ed. Go to http://www.eslpod.com then, in the Search Podcast box in the lefthand navigation panel, choose transportation from the drop-down menu. This brings up podcasts on such subjects as Getting a Driver’s License, Learning to Drive, Getting a Traffic Ticket, Parking Instructions, Common Traffic Signs, Car Trouble, and Buying a Used Car. All of these are designed for ESL learners.

2. Thank you SO much for this list! My driver’s ed teacher has been looking for something like this for over a year – it’s so nice to have the sites all put together in one place.

3. Yap, no need to work your way to find these sites. Kinda interested how to race drive for myself, rally to be specific but I’m sharing this to my students, kinda my own thing and I don’t want to encourage anything.

4. Pingback: Driver education online « Read All About Lit

5. Another site for Driving practice tests is http://www.freedmvpracticetests.com. This site has instant feed back after each questions.

6. Another site is http://drivingtests101.com/.

This site provides driving test questions for 12 countries, 278 states/provinces (including all US states), for all vehicle types (car, motorcycles, trucks, buses, etc).

Each test has randomized, rule and sign, multiple choice questions that are very similar or the same to the real written driving test exams.

There are also links to the official driver handbooks for each state, province or country.

7. Another site for Driving practice tests is http://www.gngdrivingschool.com/.

8. If you are getting ready for your permit or drivers license I found http://www.practicepermittest.com to be really helpful. They have practice tests for all 50 states and the drivers manuals as well.