The Best Sites For Images Of Fall Foliage (& For Teaching About The Season)

'Fall leaves-2' photo (c) 2009, Gary Lerude - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

Learning the names of the seasons is one of the first vocabulary terms that Beginning English Language Learners typically learn. Images from the fall are always great ones to use to help teach about the season, and I thought I’d share a few links to some great ones.

Fall images are also great opportunities for learning descriptive words, and geography, and, as an eCard site I share in this lists shows, can be used for writing practice, too.

Here are my choices for The Best Sites For Images Of Fall Foliage (& For Teaching About The Season):

Autumn Scenes is a great series of photos from The Boston Globe’s The Big Picture.

Hidden Stashes of Fall Foliage is a slideshow from The New York Times.

The Harford Courant has a slideshow of New England colors in the fall.

Yankee Foliage has an excellent eCard feature where users can pick an image, write about it and send it to a friend. For ELL’s, the url address of the card and image can be posted on a student/teacher website or blog.

Here’s a relatively simple explanation for why the colors of leaves change.

The Sun Sentinel newspaper has a slideshow contrasting fall colors in the Eastern and Western parts of the United States.

The Orange County Register has a similar slideshow. They also have one titled Autumn In New England.

In addition to images specifically of the fall, here are some good links to activities designed for ELL’s to learn about all the seasons:

The Leaves On The Trees is a song from The British Council.

Seasons is an interactive from Harcourt.

Puddles is a talking story from Reading Is Fundamental.

Patterns In The Sky is an accessible science interactive that deals with more of the science issues related to seasonal changes.

Shades of fall is a series of photos from the Sacramento Bee.

Autumn Settles In is a slideshow from The Wall Street Journal.

USA Today has a nice interactive about leaves changing colors in the fall.

“Fall Is In The Air” is the title of a series of photos at the Boston Globe’s Big Picture blog.

All About Autumn is a slideshow from Slate Magazine.

“A Glimpse Of The Fall” is a great series of photos from The Sacramento Bee.

Autumn leaves color the horizon is a photo gallery from The Sacramento Bee.

Autumn 2012: Celebration of the season is a photo gallery from The Boston Globe.

Fall Is In The Air is a photo gallery from The Atlantic.

Autumn is gorgeous the world over is a great photo gallery from The Week.

10 Idioms Linked To The Vocabulary of Autumn is from The World Is Your Oyster.

As always, feedback and suggestions are always welcome.

1. Hello Mr. Ferlazzo,
    My name is Kristen Hayes and I am a student at the University of South Alabama in Mobile, AL. I am taking an EDM310 class and I was assigned your blog to comment on. I think it’s really cool that you post all these websites to look at just to learn about the fall. The fall is probably my favorite season; I do love the summer, but the colors and temperatures are always better in the fall. I really like how you include websites that have songs and pictures instead of just learning. I’m a visiual learner myself, so the pictures are super helpful! I really enjoyed reading your blog and you can visit my blog anytime at: http://hayeskristenedm310.blogspot.com/
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    Kristen Hayes