The Best Sites To Learn About The Nobel Peace Prize

'Alfred Nobel, the founder of the Nobel Peace Prize' photo (c) 2010, Blatant World - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

“the Norwegian Nobel Committee… awarded the 2014 peace prize to Malala Yousafzai of Pakistan and Kailash Satyarthi of India, joining a teenage Pakistani known around the world with an Indian veteran of campaigns on behalf of children.” (You might also be interested in The Best Resources On Malala Yousafzai.

The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons has been awarded the 2013 Nobel Peace Prize.

It was thought that Malala Yousafzai might win (see The Best Resources On Malala Yousafzai), but I don’t think one can argue with the final decision. You can learn more at The Best Resources For Learning About Chemical Weapons.

The European Union has been awarded the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize. Here are some resources on them and their award:

European Union Wins Nobel Peace Prize is from Breaking News English.

Nobel Gives Peace Prize to Crisis-Ridden EU is an interactive from The Wall Street Journal.

European Union wins 2012 Nobel Peace Prize is a video from the BBC.

European Union: Key Moments is a slideshow from The PBS News Hour.

As The New York Times has reported, 2011′s Nobel Peace Prize winners are “Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf — Africa’s first elected female president — her compatriot, peace activist Leymah Gbowee and Tawakul Karman of Yemen, a pro-democracy campaigner.”

Here’s an updated Associated Press interactive.

Nobel Peace Prize Awarded to Three Activist Women is from The New York Times.

Nobel Peace prize winners – the full list is an infographic from The Guardian.

Yemen’s ‘Mother of the Revolution’, Liberian president, peace activist share Nobel prize is from MSNBC.

Here’s a video from CNN:

A closer look at the Nobel Peace Prize is a video and article from CNN.

Tawakkul Karman Awarded Nobel Peace Prize is a TIME slideshow.

(NOTE: The 2010 Nobel Peace Prize has been awarded to Liu Xiaobo, a leading Chinese dissident who is serving an 11-year prison term. You can learn more about him at CNN. Many of the resources on this list relate to President Obama winning the Prize in 2009. However, most of these materials also relate to the Prize in general, and have a great deal of accessible information on the previous winners and the Prize in general, too. I will continue to add more).

Here’s a TIME Magazine slideshow on Liu Xiaobo.

Liu Xiaobo Wins The Nobel Prize is a slideshow from The Wall Street Journal.

Here is a video from The Guardian about Liu Xiaobo’s award.

The BBC has a short article about Liu Xiaobo titled Liu Xiaobo: 20 years of activism.

Supporters Celebrate Prize For Liu is another Wall Street Journal slideshow.

Why the Nobel Peace award upset China is an article from CNN with many related videos.

The Absent Nobel Winner is a Wall Street Journal slideshow

A chair and a photo stand in for Liu Xiaobo at Nobel peace prize ceremony is a video from The Guardian.

Nobel Peace Prize Awarded to Liu Xiaobo is a New York Times slideshow.

Activist Laureates is a slideshow from The Wall Street Journal.

Nobel Winners Past is a slideshow from Slate.

I just woke up to the surprising news of President Obama being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. I don’t have much time, but since I’m bringing my class to the computer lab today, I thought I’d put together a quick list of accessible resources they can use to learn a little more about it.

I may very well be adding to this list when I get home tonight but, for now, here are my choices for The Best Sites To Learn About The Nobel Peace Prize:

Here’s a video announcement of President Obama’s award from CBS News.

CBS also has a “photo essay” profiling recent Peace Prize winners.

MSNBC also has an interactive on previous winners.

The BBC Newsround, as always, has a very accessible report on President Obama’s receiving of the award.

The Wall Street Journal has an interactive on the life of a previous winner, Aung San Suu Kyi from Burma.

Nelson Mandela is another previous winner, so you might be interested in The Best Sites For Learning About Nelson Mandela.

The Best Places To Learn About President Barack Obama’s Life is a previous list I’ve compiled.

The Best Websites For Learning About Martin Luther King shares resources on another previous winner of the award.

The former president of Finland Martti Ahtisaari won the 2008 Nobel Peace Prize. Breaking News English has a good online exercise on his award.

The Times of London has a slideshow of previous winners.

Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize is the title of a New York Times slideshow.

The NY Times also has a video of Obama’s comments on receiving the award.

Nobel Diplomacy is the title of a Wall Street Journal interactive highlighting Obama’s diplomatic efforts, which were specifically praised by the Nobel Committee.

Obama Accepts Nobel Peace Prize as ‘Call to Action’ is a slideshow from the Wall Street Journal.

CNN has an interactive timeline showing previous winners.

CNN also has a special feature on the event.

Nobel Peace Prize Myths, Explained is a short article from CBS News.

Obama Accepts The Nobel Peace Prize is a slideshow from TIME Magazine. Obama Receives Nobel Peace Prize is a slideshow from The Wall Street Journal.

Richard Byrne has also written a good post about resources available at the official Nobel Prize site.

1. Larry,
    Thanks for the mention. Another video of the announcement can be found on Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/news/video?videoId=112826&videoChannel=1

2. Pingback: Coopeartion and Competition Lesson 5: Nobel Peace Prize | Oakridge Fifth Grade Blog