The Best Online Personality, Career, Political & Just Plain Fun Quizzes

Online quizzes of various types abound on the Web.  Many include content not appropriate for classroom use, or are on the same site with other quizzes that aren’t appropriate.   Some are on sites just too filled with ads.  Others are too complicated to be accessible to English Language Learners, or would just take too long to complete.  And many require registration, or charge in order to take the quiz.

I’ve found, though, that my English Language Learner students enjoy taking online quizzes that don’t fit into those above categories.  Many are just for fun, but include reading and vocabulary development opportunities.  Some, though, can offer useful information to students — for example, well-done career tests.

Here are my choices for The Best Online Personality, Career, & Just Plain Fun Quizzes (not in order of preference):

Career Path and Monster both have multiple job-related quizzes.

Queendom: The Land of Tests has a ton of quizzes on many different topics.

The BBC Human Body and Mind also has a number of different types of tests.

ABC in Australia has a fun little personality test.

The Central Intelligence Agency has a “tongue-in-cheek” CIA Personality Quiz.

Here’s a link to something called The Big Five Personality Test.

Channel One has a lot of online quizzes, including many personality ones.

Take a How Do You Learn? quiz to identify learning styles.

Proprofs Quiz School has several personality quizzes, and it’s an easy place for students to create their own, too.

The Pew Research Center Interactive
has several very accessible political and community quizzes that would provide good grist for learning and discussion.

At 15 has a Pic-a-Pic personality quiz.

Similar Minds has a large collection of personality quizzes. Some of them are accessible to ELL’s.

The Constitution Center has a Which Founder Are You quiz. You answer a variety of personality-like questions, and then you’re told which of the “founding fathers” you are most like.

The Los Angeles Times uses technology from the company Visual DNA to have users take a News Match Quiz. It’s really pretty neat. You’re asked some simple questions and shown a variety of images you use to answer — What is your favorite kind of treat? What would spark a conversation with you?

Then, at the end, you’re given a report on your personality and a series of newspaper articles the program thinks you’d be interested in.

It’s useful for English Language Learners on a number of levels. I’ve seen the Visual DNA technology used in other sites, and have liked it, they those other sites have usually been dating-related or on other sites not appropriate for the classroom.

A somewhat similar quiz sit– though not nearly as good as Visual DNA’s application — is called ID Solution. It identifies your “cultural taste.” One thing I do like about it is that some the questions ask your preferences of various texts instead of images.

The New Scientist and The Discovery Channel have joined to create an online quiz called The 12 Pillars Of Wisdom Test, which they also call the “ultimate intelligence test.” It’s intriguing, and requires some basic reading skills. Intermediate English Language Learners might find it engaging.

I’d certainly be interested in hearing other suggestions, so please feel free to leave them in the comments section.

1. Gosh! The ABC personality test has me pinned. It said I should be a teacher. Good thing I am.