The Best Search Engines For ESL/EFL Learners

'Search Engine Land Logo #1' photo (c) 2006, Danny Sullivan - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

It’s time for the annual update of my “The Best…” search engines list.

You might also be interested in these lists:

The Best Search Engines For ESL/EFL Learners — 2008

The Best Search Engines For ESL/EFL Learners — 2007

Not “The Best…,” But “A List” Of Search Engines For Social Media

Obviously, from the title of the list you can determine that the prime criteria I use is the search engine’s accessibility to English Language Learners. I believe this kind of accessibility also makes these applications very useful for students of all ages and language proficiencies.

Many of the sites in the top half of the list also appeared in last year’s ranking, and they all have made improvements over the past year. Several new web tools have joined for the first time.

Here are my choices for The Best Search Engines For ESL/EFL Learners:

The Carrot search engine returns search results divided into themes. For example, I typed in “Roman Gladiator” and, in addition to getting a list of typical results from a search engine, I saw a listed of thematic categories. These included “Ancient Rome,” “Movie Gladiator,” and “Collectible Swords.” These themes, I think, will be helpful to English Language Learners as they try to get through all the “clutter” of search engine results.

Quintura provides search results in a visual “cloud.” I’d characterize it as similar to the present version of Kartoo, the well-known search engine, but much less confusing.

Boolify is a search engine designed for elementary and middle school students that is accessible to English Language Learners. I think there are others that are more accessible, but this is a good one to help teach basic search strategies.

Google has unveiled a new feature in its search engine — the ability to see images of the site search results without having to go to the sites themselves.

Askives is a new search engine that utilizes many of the question/answer sites that abound on the Web. Like another similar site, Kngine, though, it appears to be able to separate the good answers from the many useless and inaccurate ones that are out there.

2Lingual is a bilingual search engine. You type in your search term and then choose two languages. Search results will show-up side-by-side in both languages. It could come in very handy for English Language Learners in content classes, as well as for their teachers who might be looking for materials in a second language that they could offer to their students for extra support. I was quite pleased with the searches I did, though I wish they had separate “tabs” for videos. They provide bilingual searches for Google and for Bing, plus a voice search capability.

Oolone is a new search engine that shows you large images of search results instead of text.

“Leap.it” Could Be A Useful Search Engine For English Language Learners

Feedback, as always, is welcome.

You might also want to check-out the other 350 “The Best…” lists and consider subscribing to this blog for free.

1. Thanks for this great information! I currently teach ESL in a school where students have access to their own laptops, so this list of search engines will be very useful for all of my students.

2. Great list – thanks for sharing!

3. http://www.CALL4ALL.US Virtual Language Education Encyclopedia can also be used as an English and Foreign Language Learning Search Engine. It has about 8,000 language learning and teaching programs categorized by topic A-Z. One may look for any theme or topic using its Site Search or by means of its Links Index. Awesome, serving about 150 languages and counting…!

4. I really appreciate the post and every detail mentioned about search engines.