The Best Sites For Teaching About Latitude & Longitude

One of the trickiest things for me to teach (and to learn!) about Geography is keeping things straight between latitude and longitude. Because of that difficulty, I’ve decided to create another “The Best…” list. You might also be interested in The Best Websites For Learning & Teaching Geography.

Here are my choices for The Best Sites For Teaching About Latitude & Longitude (that are, of course, accessible to English Language Learners).  These are not listed in any order of preference:

The Saskatoon Public Schools Online Learning Center has a nice interactive on latitude and longitude.

The Calgary Academy has a great online interactive on the topic that provides audio support for the text. You first have to register for the site, though.  Just click “Start Activity.”

Here’s a free Brainpop movie on the topic.

Kids Geo has a fun latitude and longitude reinforcing game.

Try-out this Pearson “drag-and-drop” activity.

Here’s a game to test and practice understanding of the concept.

And here’s another simple game.

You can also find these links, and links to other map-reading activities, on my website under Introduction to Maps.

As always, feedback and additional suggestions are welcome.

1. Thanks so much for the fun sites. I had fun playing them. I am a grade 5 teacher trying to get some ideas for the coming year. This was helpful information. All the best to you!!!

2. this is really helpful and i think people should use it and learn the different things that r happing all around the world and no how far a country is and how they are graphed

3. This website works really well! it helped so much! We had to play games on this website for the summer STEM program, and it was so much fun!

4. Thank you for helping me find games that reinforces learning such concepts as Longitudes and latitudes

5. THIS WEBSITE REALLY HELPED

6. I enjoyed looking at your links. I am carrying out a class room research on developing reading and locating places on world physical map with reference to latitude and longitude.
    if any of you have any teaching resource. please forward on my e-mail