The Best Collections Of “The Best” Pieces Of Art Ever Created

In my Theory of Knowledge class we’re learning about the roles of emotion, language, perception and reason in art. As part of that, students are looking through pieces of art and writing a short analysis of one they choose.

They are going to look through the online collections of various museums, but I had also found a site that shared one person’s view of “The Best” pieces of art ever created. I had shown students images from the site and asked them to share what kind of emotional reaction, if any, they provoked.

That turned-out to be a pretty good lesson, so I thought I’d develop a similar list of sites that provide images of famous pieces of art. Not only will this list help my Theory of Knowledge students, it might also be an intriguing way to help English Language Learners develop a great vocabulary related to feelings and emotions if they tried a similar lesson — plus create opportunities for both art vocabulary and art content knowledge.

In order to make it on this list, a site had to show a number of images or links on the same page of their selected artworks, and allow the ability to click on them to get an enlarged view.

Here are my choices for The Best Collections Of “The Best” Pieces Of Art Ever Created:

Another site titled The Greatest Works of Art

Best Works of Art in the World

Famous Paintings

The World’s 50 Best Works of Art (and how to see them)

50 Most Famous Works posters (this is from a site that sells posters, but does provides nice images of famous pieces of art)

Gallery of Famous Paintings

Most Famous Paintings

Famous Sculptures

Top 10 most Famous Sculptures and Statues

100 Greatest Paintings of All Time

ArtFinder is a new web tool that lets you discover new art and build your own virtual collections. You can take a survey identifying pieces of art you like and it will help you discover more like them. You can read more about the site at Read Write Web.

Most Famous Paintings of All Time

Here’s a pretty amazing interactive animation of Van Gogh’s “Starry Night”:

10 Most Famous Art Masterpieces
by Overstockart.
Explore more infographics like this one on the web’s largest information design community – Visually.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome.

1. How about Mark Harden’s artchive at http://www.artchive.com/welcome.htm or Artcyclopedia at http://www.artcyclopedia.com ? I suppose you already have them – I have been lazy and not checked, but these are good too. I think the Artchive has a separate pop up where you can really examine a painting in detail.

2. Pingback: Technology Bits Bytes & Nibbles | Art in a new way, Interactive animation of Starry Night, WOW