The Latest Statistics On English Language Learners In The U.S.

I’m doing some research for an article I’m writing on English Language Learners, and have been identifying some pretty decent resources for finding the most up-to-date statistics on English Language Learners in the United States.

I thought readers of this blog might find links to them useful. Feel free to suggestion other resources by leaving a comment.

Here are the places that seemed to have the most recent statistics (and analysis):

An article about a conference sponsored by the Educational Testing Service. It’s titled ETS, La Raza Conference: English-language Learners Fastest-growing Segment of U.S. School Population.

A paper prepared for the same conference, titled Current State of English-Language Learners in the U.S. K-12 Student Population.

English Language Learners Face Unique Challenges is a policy brief from the National Education Association.

The Institute of Education Sciences (IES) of the U.S. Department of Education issued a report the focuses on ELL’s in the Appalachia area, but it has a lot of good statistics about ELL’s nation-wide, too.

1. Larry,
    Do you know where I can find more recent 2011-12 statistics on ELLs in the US?

• Mariah,

If there’s a place to get those stats (though I’ve got to say I doubt you’re going to find any that are that up to date) you should go to my “The Best” list on ELL research.