I’ll Be Leading Workshops At The California League Of High Schools Annual Conference

I’ll be leading two workshops at The California League Of High Schools Annual Conference in Monterey, California. The conference takes place January 15-17th.

Both my workshops will take place on Saturday.

One will take place in a computer lab:

Technology, Relationships and English Language Learners

This computer lab session will focus on the “value-added” benefits technology can bring to English Language Learners, and how tech can be used to develop and deepen face-to-face relationships. The session will help teachers understand that technology has its place, but also has to be kept in its place.

The other session will be a preview of my upcoming book, “English Language Learners: Teaching Strategies That Work,”  which will be coming out in April.  Here’s how it’s described:

Teaching English Language Learners: Strategies that Work

This session will share research-based methods to teach English Language Learners that are used in the context of what the presenter calls the “Organizing Cycle” — Building Relationships, Accessing Prior Knowledge Through Student Stories, Developing Student Leadership, Learning By Doing, and Reflection. This process reflects the presenter’s twenty-year community organizing career prior to his becoming a teacher, and is featured in the forthcoming book, Teaching English Language Learners: Strategies That Work (Linworth Publishing). Teachers will learn practical lessons to use in the classroom. Lecture and small group discussions will be incorporated.