The Best Sites To Learn About The World’s Tallest Buildings

'Reflected In Time - London City' photo (c) 2013, Simon & His Camera - license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

The opening of the world’s tallest building in Dubai this week, I thought a “The Best…” list on the topic of the world’s tallest buildings might be timely.

Here are my picks for The Best Sites To Learn About The World’s Tallest Buildings (and are accessible to English Language Learners):

A Brief History of the World’s Tallest Buildings is a slideshow from TIME Magazine.

Burj Dubai: the world’s tallest building
is an interactive graphic from The Guardian.

Skyscrapers From Around the World is a slideshow from MSNBC.

World’s Tallest Building in Dubai
is a video from MSNBC.

Here are several more slideshows of the world’s tallest buildings:

Fox News

Discovery News

Charted: The tallest buildings in the world for any year in history is from The Washington Post.

The Skyscraper Museum in New York has several features that would be accessible to English Language Learners. One is a digital representation of downtown Manhattan called Viva. Another is a similar presentation called Viva 2, which highlights the Empire State Building and the World Trade Center. A third page compares the tallest buildings in the world. Lastly, there are a series of particularly accessible features called Cool Stuff.

World’s Tallest Building Opens In Dubai
is an exercise for English Language Learners from Breaking News English.

The World’s Tallest Towers is a nice interactive that’s actually on the website of the Dubai tower.

The tallest buildings in the world is a slideshow from The Washington Post.

“The world’s weirdest skyscrapers” is a slideshow from The Telegraph.

This article and graphic tells about Saudi Arabia plans to build the world’s tallest building
Feedback is always welcome.

The 10 best tall buildings – in pictures is a Guardian slideshow.

World’s tallest buildings, monuments and other structures is a slideshow from CBS News.

The world’s tallest skyscrapers and structures is a slideshow from The Telegraph.

The Skyline of 2016 [Interactive] is from Scientific American.

Tallest Buildings in the World

Explore more visuals like this one on the web’s largest information design community – Visually.

The World

Saudi Arabia Prepares to Build the World’s Tallest Building is from The Atlantic and has some good visuals, including an infographic.

Super Tall Skyscraper Info-graphic

You might also want to explore the 400 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.

1. Thanks a lot. The kids are sure to like learning about this. I’ve chosen some links to slideshows and videos from the list and I’m going to put them on the students’ forums in my iclass.