The Best Sources For Interactive Infographics

'INFOGRAPHIC - Mortality Statistics' photo (c) 2011, Kirie Mukai - license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Interactive Infographics are online representations of information or data that usually allow the user to “interact” with it and the data that is visualized.  They’re generally created by newspapers for their websites, and often, though not always, are accessible to English Language Learners.   In fact,  they can be an exceptionally accessible way for ELL’s to learn complicated information that might ordinarily not be comprehensible.

I’ve posted about quite a few interactive infographics over the past three years. And I’ve posted A Collection Of “The Best…” Lists On Infographics.

I thought readers might find it useful to learn which sites I have found to be the best sources of good interactive infographics. In addition to listing them here, I’ll be adding a section on them to the Teacher’s Page of my website.

The links on this list will take you directly to the Interactive Infographics page of the named newspapers.

Here are my picks for The Best Sources For Interactive Infographics:

The Boston Globe

The Wall Street Journal

TIME Magazine

The Cleveland Plain Dealer

The New York Times

The Denver Post

USA Today

The Sun Sentinel

Wilmington News Journal

The Guardian

Star Tribune

Orange County Registe
r

I’ve previously posted about many interactives and infographics from the BBC. Recently, I discovered that they have two pages where they collect them. You can visit their Interactive and Graphics page, which appears to be regularly updated. Their other site is called Interactive guides and graphics, and does not appear to be updated as frequently.

The Jet Propulsion Laboratory of NASA has a site called JPL Infographics where you can find a bunch of great…infographics. But what’s even better is that it’s set up for people to create their own, too.

Visual.ly is an excellent source for interactive infographics. Perhaps they’ve had this option for awhile, but I’ve just noticed that they now have an option under each infographic on their site that says:

Click here to embed this graphic on your site

Click on it and you are provided the embed code. It’s a nice addition.

Infogr.am, a good tool for easily making infographics that is on The Best Web 2.0 Applications For Education In 2012 — So Far list, has announced that they’ve begun a feature on their site where they’re highlighting the best ones.

Information Is Beautiful, creators of many infographics that I’ve in this blog, has announced that voting is open for the Beautiful Awards Community Award. It’s a treasure trove!

Here’s a collection of ALL NY Times and Guardian infographics.

The National Post has a great collection of infographics.

Visualizing.org is a real “find-of-the-week.” It’s a great source for infographics, and is similar to Visual.ly. Even though Visual.ly may have many more infographics, the ones on Visualizing.org are of a uniformly high quality.

Additional suggestions are always welcome.

1. Hi Larry

I just love the infographics you find. They have so much learning potential.

I have started to do some searching for them too. I have been looking for them in LOTE news sources.

2. Once again, thank you for a quality list. May I add a suggestion, beyond USA borders: AFP (Agence France-Presse) offers quality interactive “infographics” as they call them. We (NB DoE, Canada) have subscribed to them since ’06 and receive on our secured FTP (to be then deployed on the provincial Sharepoint portal for ALL our teachers) a constant number of graphics covering various headlines or general topics (about 400 a year!). They are available in 5 languages.

Some are more elaborate than others but all are well thought out and solid. Info to be found here: http://www.afp.com/afpcom/en/taglibrary/know-how/graphics

(BTW, the North American office is in Washington DC…)

3. Pingback: Teaching With Infographics | Places to Start - The Learning Network Blog - NYTimes.com

4. Pingback: The Content Marketer's Guide to Web Content

5. Pingback: Content Marketer’s Guide to Web Content | InfoKwik Marketing & SEO

6. Pingback: » Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… Natalie Bromm