“A History Of The World”

Thanks to Richard Byrne and his exceptional resource-finding abilities, today I learned about the BBC’s “A History Of The World.”

It’s a neat interactive timeline display of historical objects with images and commentary. Not only is it an accessible and engaging way to learn more about world history, but after a quick site registration you can contribute your own historical object choice to the collection and write about it.

In some ways, it reminds me of “The Digital Vaults”,  an entry into the vast resources of the National Archives.  That site allows you to use those resources to create your own movies, posters, and what it calls “Pathway Challenges” to… challenge others to find connections between a series of images, documents, and other resources you put together.

I’m adding the link to “A History Of The World” to both The Best Websites For Teaching & Learning About World History and to The Best Places Where Students Can Write For An “Authentic Audience.”

1. Larry,
    Thanks for the kind words. Good call on the contribution aspect, I left that out of my review.
    Richard