The Best Sites To Learn About Pandas

'Panda' photo (c) 2011, George Lu - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Pandas from The National Zoo and the Atlanta Zoo were sent back to China today. I thought it might be a good occasion for a quick “The Best…” list of sites about pandas that are accessible to English Language Learners.

Here are my choices for The Best Sites To Learn About Pandas:

U.S. Zoos Send Pandas To China is a Wall Street Journal slideshow about today’s events.

Meet The Pandas is an interactive site from Animal Planet.

Interactive map of giant panda habitat
comes from The World Wildlife Fund.

Check out the Creature Features segment on pandas from National Geographic For Kids.

National Zoo’s Panda Express is a video on the pandas’ return. It’s from CBS News.

New highways threaten giant pandas
is a Breaking News lesson for ELL’s.

Students can send a Panda eCard from the National Zoo, email it to themselves or a friend, and then post the url address of their creation on a student/teacher website.

Learn about pandas
at the San Diego Zoo.

Bye-Bye, Panda
is a slideshow from TIME Magazine.

Giant pandas head to China is a series of photos from the Sacramento Bee.

It’s a very short video, but these images of new-born pandas from a Japanese zoo are not to be missed.

The Adelaide Zoo in Australia has a good site on pandas (thanks to Shani Hartley for the tip)

The Smithsonian has just unveiled and super-slick interactive called The Asia Trail. It lets you virtually travel throughout Asia and learn about animals in their habitat. Because some of the animals of pandas, I’m adding this link to this list.

A baby panda was recently born in Atlanta. Here are new additions to The Best Sites To Learn About Pandas:

Newborn panda cub undergoes medical exam in United States is a video from The Telegraph.

Cell Phone-Sized Baby Panda is an ABC News video.

Hello World! Baby Panda Makes His Debut at Zoo Atlanta is from TIME Magazine.

Vienna Zoo Shows Off Giant Panda Cub is a fun video from MSNBC.

Panda’s Debut At Tokyo Zoo is a Wall Street Journal slideshow.

Scientists Don Panda Costumes is a TIME Magazine slideshow.

Washington’s pregnant panda? is a Washington Post slideshow.

This is a great video from CBS News that they label “Crafty pandas mount a daring escape.”

Here’s their commentary:

The plan was simple. One guy distract the guard, the rest make a break for the exit. Almost too easy.

Did I mention we’re talking about pandas?

Pandas are usually slow to act (and even slower to mate.) But sometimes an opportunity is too good to pass up. There’s no mention of how the escape attempt ends, but chances are the pandas didn’t make an epic “Homeward Bound” type journey home.

San Diego Zoo Panda celebrates Birthday by Attacking Cake! is video I just had to add to this list:

Panda Preschool is a video from The Smithsonian Channel.

From The Associated Press via GoKicker:

Zookeepers in Taipei, Taiwan’s zoo introduced a month-old baby panda cub to her mother. The cub is kept in a separate cage due to concerns that her mother might kill… her.

YouTube’s Cutest Baby Panda Videos is a great collection

National Zoo Panda Cub Makes Her Adorable Media Debut is a TIME slideshow.

I don’t think this next short video of the panda at the Toronto Zoo can be seen in an RSS Reader but, believe me, it’s worth clicking through to watch:

Feedback is always welcome.

If you found this post useful, you might want to consider subscribing to this blog for free and exploring over 400 other “The Best…” lists.