The Best Sites To Learn About Canada

'canadian flag' photo (c) 2009, ankakay - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

(Note that Canada Day is July 1st of each year)

With the Vancouver Winter Olympics beginning tomorrow, I thought it might be useful to have a ‘The Best…’ list that students (outside of Canada) can use to learn a little bit about the host country. Of course, I’m hopeful that Canadian readers will also leave comments suggesting additional sites that should be on this list. In order to be in this post, the resource must be accessible to English Language Learners.

This is a “sister list” to The Best Sites To Learn About The Vancouver Winter Olympics.

Here are my choices for The Best Sites To Learn About Canada (I know there are a lot more out there, so please make suggestions!):

Sean Banville has created a Canada Day lesson for English Language Learners.

How Stuff Works has several good videos on Canada.

Learn a bit about Canada’s geography by playing these games.

Here are listening exercises designed for English Language Learners. They’re on Canadian history, Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal.

Learn about the creation myth of the Inuit people.

Zoom School Canada has a lot of accessible information.

A Journey Into Time Immemorial is an impressive interactive feature focused on the First People’s of Canada.

National Geographic has some Canada Facts.

National Geographic also has a feature on Vancouver.

You can watch several videos about Canada at Discovery Atlas. (you have to click on Canada).

Canadian Geographic Kids is an excellent interactive for learning about Canada.

Learn English Feel Good has a cloze exercise on Canada’s National Holiday.

Check-out The 10 Most Popular Tourist Attractions in Canada.

Canada Day – in pictures is from The Guardian.

35 Million Directors has a collection of Canadian tourist videos.

STF Library recommends First Peoples Of Canada.

Feedback is always welcome.

You might also want to explore the 400 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.

1. Oh Larry! The BEST site to learn about Canada IMHO is http://nfb.ca The National Film Board of Canada is a treasure and in their vast video library, offers a world of information about Canada. It is without equal in the world of video for educators. IMHO….. Just scroll through their library and you’ll be amazed.

My favorite is the Bill Mason classic – Paddle to the Sea.

David

2. My favorite site to share with students is this one from my mother’s hometown, North Buxton, Ontario. Originally known as the Elgin Settlement, it was established by former slaves escaping from the U.S. My students here in the South love it because they know about what the Underground Railroad was taking people from, but had no idea what happened to those people at the other end.
    North Buxton has done a wonderful job of preserving and recording its illustrious history with a museum, website, and they have turned several of their original buildings into learning centers (such as the 1861 school house where students can take on the persona of an original student for a day). Lots of lesson plans, and other teaching resources.

http://www.buxtonmuseum.com/visitors/site.html