Crocodoc is a new application that lets you upload any document –Word, PowerPoint or PDF — from your computer or the Web, and then it can be “marked-up” with a virtual highlighter or sticky notes. No registration is necessary. You’re given a unique url for the document, and then the people you share it with can annotate it.

It’s a very simple service to use. I’ve emailed them asking when and if they will allow webpages themselves to be used — that would really be useful.

I’m adding it to Best Applications For Annotating Websites even though it’s a little different.

However, for my work in the classroom, for right now it fits another important need.

File2.ws was a great app that allowed for the uploading of any document, and it then turned it into a webpage. It was great for students — they could use software, like WORD, that they were familiar with, write, copy and paste photos, etc, and then upload it for sharing. Last year they did a great job creating educational resources they could share with their families about the swine flu — both via the Web and with hard copies.

Unfortunately, File2.ws seems to have gone under. I haven’t been able to use it for awhile.

Even though Crocodoc also allows for virtual mark-ups, I also think it can be used in the same way I used File2.ws with students. In fact, we may use it today for posters they’re making encouraging people to complete U.S. Census forms (see Persuasive Essays, Low-Income Communities & The Census Count).

Thanks to TechCrunch for the tip.