I’ve used music a lot with English Language Learners.  Singing feels much less threatening to many who are learning a new language.

Karaoke is a good language-development activity,  and there are quite a few karaoke sites on the Internet.  I thought it would be a good topic for a short “The Best…” list.

In order to make it on this list, a site has to be available free-of-charge (or at least some of its resources have to be free), easy-to-use, require no download, and allow students — either alone or in a group —  to record themselves singing.  A link to their performance can then be posted on a student or teacher website.

There are only a few sites that meet that criteria.  Here are my choices for The Best Online Karaoke Sites For English Language Learners:

Sing Snap is the newest addition to this list.  It has all the best qualities of the other sites here — easy to use, free-of-charge, and, if you don’t want to record, you can just listen to others sing while the screen shows the lyrics. Using a webcam is an option, but unlike many Web 2.0 sites, you can still use it if you just have a computer microphone.

The Karaoke Channel

Instagram one-ups TikTok with karaoke lyrics is from TechCrunch.

Karaoke Nite is a new online tool for…karaoke.

You might also be interested in The Best Music Websites For Learning English and The Best Sites To Practice Speaking English.

I’d certainly be interested in hearing suggestions, so please feel free to leave them in the comments section.