This post is a companion to two other “The Best…” lists I’ve written:

The Best Sites For Panoramas

The Best Sites For Online Photo-Editing & Photo Effects

I’m beginning to play around with creating panoramic photos, and I thought it might be a fun project to do with students, too. I’ve written a lot about how I use photos in in my teaching (you can read about those strategies in the two other lists I’ve already mentioned), and I’m thinking that student-created panoramas might be an engaging project to explore.

None of the online apps on this list are super, super simple, but they appear manageable and have accessible instructions on how to take the pictures. They don’t require any software download, and they’re free.

Here are my choices for The Best Online Applications For Creating Panoramas:

Dermandar

Clevr

Magtoo

Photsynth is a new free Microsoft app for the iPhone for taking panoramic photos. Here’s how ReadWriteWeb describes it:

Photosynth stands out as you can capture images not just along a horizontal line, but in all directions – up, down, left and right. And rather than just relying on you to hold the camera steady while you pan, the app gives you guidelines of where the next image should be places and next photo snapped.

It also lets you share the photo to Facebook and to Bing Maps.

Tourwrist looks like a useful iPhone app to take 360 panoramic images. You can read more about it at Read Write Web.

Feedback is always welcome.

You might also want to explore the nearly 450 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.